PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple windows for same application and Unity

wi0
May 6th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I find Unity very inconvenient when having for example multiple Writer files open. The way it works is similar to grouping back in Win XP. This was one of the first features to turn off for me, but at least you got a list of the windows when you clicked the button, if you didn't. Here, you (seemingly randomly) get either one of the windows activated, or they appear in miniature versions. There are no window titles and unless the content is very different, it's nearly impossible to tell which is which. Help!

By the way, judging from the few introductory videos on Gnome's website, Gnome 3 shell is almost identical to Unity, at least with regard to the left lancher thing. Why are they so similar?

wi0
May 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Really, this is a significant issue.

nerdy_kid
May 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think that they plan on fixing this in 11.10, perhaps by allowing one to pick between windows using the quicklists. I can't remember where I heard that from though.

jtfolden
May 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I find Unity very inconvenient when having for example multiple Writer files open. The way it works is similar to grouping back in Win XP. This was one of the first features to turn off for me, but at least you got a list of the windows when you clicked the button, if you didn't. Here, you (seemingly randomly) get either one of the windows activated, or they appear in miniature versions. There are no window titles and unless the content is very different, it's nearly impossible to tell which is which. Help!

By the way, judging from the few introductory videos on Gnome's website, Gnome 3 shell is almost identical to Unity, at least with regard to the left lancher thing. Why are they so similar?

Actually, in Gnome 3 you can get a list of Windows from the icon in the Dash and, additionally, see minimized windows in the Activities overview. In Unity it seems like minimized windows are much harder to get to when you need them.

Mad-Halfling
May 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I've noticed this too - it seems to be random (I can't work out how to do each function, maybe it's a subtle difference in click-length?) whether it opens up each window in the window-switcher mode or goes to an arbitrarily selected windows.