PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu-server via nano cpu freezes minute after boot restart

lemonjelo
May 6th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I had the same problem awhile back on this system and couldn't find the solution this time around, but stumbled across it - I think it's the same issue and the aptitude upgrade last night brought it back: ondemand

The symptom is after a reboot and tailing logfiles and such, there's not indication why the system hangs up completely - it doesn't take long, more than a minute apparently.

Disabling the ondemand init script appears to be the fix. Looking at /etc/init.d/ondemand it has a 60 second delay so that explains the delay.

I manually moved /etc/rc{2,3,4,5}.d/S99ondemand to K01ondemand - I also removed Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 from the preamble of /etc/init.d/ondemand and ran "update-rc.d ondemand default". I suspect the recent upgrade "fixed" the old init script I had removed or changed or whatever.

I've attached a dmesg from the server. also
cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid

uname -a
Linux lmno 2.6.32-31-server #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 19:44:42 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Eeqmcsq
July 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
I just came across this exact same problem with my VIA Nano installation. Using your clue about the ondemand script, I ran some tests and got more information about of the problem.

I have filed BUG#805205 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/805205) with my findings.

Eeqmcsq
February 9th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I finally solved this hanging problem. I needed a BIOS update.

howefield
February 9th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Old thread closed.