PDA

View Full Version : Game Developer

acklavidian
May 6th, 2011, 03:27 AM
In short this is a shout out to any Game developers in need of assistance. I am a senior student of the University of Southern Mississippi studying computer science, and I really want to get involved in game development. I do a lot 3D modeling with blender on my own time and previously was a Graphic Design major so I have some formal experience there too. I just got a job at my university to help build content for a webgl game. It is of my highest aspiration to become a game developer, and I know it probably won't happen. However, I can't just give up, and so I am looking to get as much experience as I can. My summer break is almost here and I want to use my skills so as to not get rusty. I would like to get involved in a project that is story oriented, as I have not seen something like this so far on Ubuntu.That being said I would prefer that this be developed mainly on Ubuntu, but I am not going to overlook any offer that seems to have good direction. So in the end the game I like the most will bear the heaviest influence on my decision. Actually, I would feel lucky to get any offers! I am not asking to get paid either...of course...

My Skills
-3D Modeling...(Animation,Sculpting,Texturing,...)
-2D Graphics...(Physical Media, and Digital Media)
-Music...(I have played in a band for many years, and have
dabbled in computer assisted music creation.)
-Concept Creation...(I have been doing this since I could hold a
pencil)
-C++ (probably almost everything)
-Java (not new to it, but not as strong as c++)
-Others(I am not afraid to learn any programming language, and I
have used plenty)

My Caveats
-I have little experience with game development other than what I have with webgl, and some Oblivion modding. Though I feel my knowledge with coding will easily over come that.
-I don't really have a lot to show off. Most of my creations have been for personal enjoyment, and what I do have has been packed away in Deja Dup archives which are a pain to access.(Other than code. I have plenty of that from school.)

My Interests/ What I am looking for
(I didn't want to add this fearing that I might scare some offers away. So if your project doesn't match this please post anyway. I just wanted to state to my interests as it may be beneficial to those who consider me.)

-ANY STATE OF DEVELOPMENT! Whether you are some lone sole with an idea too big for just yourself, or if your part a large project that wants to update their graphics I would be glad to be a part of either.

-I am mainly interested in content creation, but I am 90% as interested in code as well.

-I see my self being apart of a proposed project for a long time. Either until its finished or development stops. So not just for the summer!

-I would like it to be a 3D project if at all possible.

-I would like it to be a (and I know this is probably just dreaming here because I have seen little of this in Linux or open source games at all...) story driven game. I would love to see an open source 3D game for Linux that used cinematic sequences, and creative game play. However, I would not refuse someone who just was serious about putting together another FPS.
-Like I mentioned before I would like for game to be developed under Ubuntu(or some other Linux). However, as much as I want this I could see my self blowing the dust off my Windows partition or even installing a Project-OSX86 partition if the offer was tantalizing enough.

**Yes, I know most open source games have places on their websites to offer help, but I wanted to try this first.

So please make some proposals!

slavik
May 6th, 2011, 03:42 AM
have you looked at some of the open source games?

simeon87
May 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
have you looked at some of the open source games?

I also suggest to look for a project yourself, contact the developers and see how you can contribute. Have a look at http://freegamer.blogspot.com/ or similar listings of free games and see which ones you like.

In video game development it's important to focus on particular skills. If you're going to get into video game development, it's unlikely that you'll be doing engine programming and 3D modeling. Things have become so specialized these days, it's better to be either a very good programmer or a very good 3D modeler.

jamesjenner
May 6th, 2011, 09:56 AM
If you are familiar with LUA then Spring is an engine that has various mods with the various mods looking for help. Of course means you would have to start playing it :)

BA is most prob the most popular, and I know they're active in development right now. BA = Balanced Annihilation, open source version of Total Annihilation (a commercial game from ages ago) which some consider to be the best RTS game ever.

Available under Linux even :)

Cheers,

James.

acklavidian
May 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I also suggest to look for a project yourself, contact the developers and see how you can contribute. Have a look at http://freegamer.blogspot.com/ or similar listings of free games and see which ones you like.

If this doesn't work out then I plan to contact some open source project teams, and ask if they need help. However, I did hope to find someone that was actively looking for help so that I could know that my help was where it is needed.

In video game development it's important to focus on particular skills. If you're going to get into video game development, it's unlikely that you'll be doing engine programming and 3D modeling. Things have become so specialized these days, it's better to be either a very good programmer or a very good 3D modeler.

I do not plan on doing all these things for the industry. I am simply trying to develop a strong resume. Perhaps if one of my skills is requested more than the others I will focus on it. I assume what is requested of me most will be what people think is my strongest asset. You see this is something I want so much that I am willing to do anything to get a foot in the door of a big game company. I have so many ideas for things I know would be amazing games. Stories, worlds, characters, all written or drawn in one of my journals or notebooks. I can barely concentrate in class because I have to document the next part to an epic, or illustrate an intuitive way to interface with a character on screen.I just need to get enough knowledge that I can start a project of my own. Someone to show me the ropes so to speak.