PDA

View Full Version : Piracy

cbennett926
May 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM
So, how does everyone feel about downloading music, or movies or any form of media from some torrent client such as Pirate Bay?

Shmantiv_Radio
May 6th, 2011, 02:39 AM
So this isn't the place to discuss the best brand of creocote for walking planks?

Misleading title :(

handy
May 6th, 2011, 02:44 AM
There are many & varied attitudes to this subject. Ranging from those of the MPAA/RIAA to those of film & music makers.

http://torrentfreak.com/director-sam-bozzo-on-bittorrent-and-the-movie-industry-100613/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak% 29

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Another-view-of-game-piracy

The world of information technology is in the process of changing the way we live. Many are trying to hold onto the old ways of doing things which are fast becoming redundant. Faster in some parts of the world than others.

I think that in 10 years time we will be seeing these changes starting to settle into what will become the new ways of dealing with media.

Off Topic
May 6th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Like sharing?

Dr. C
May 6th, 2011, 02:47 AM
When it comes to software, piracy of propriety software particularly Microsoft products is the single biggest obstacle to the growth of Free Libre Open Source Software and in particular GNU / Linux. I will go as far as to say that pirating Microsoft Windows is stealing from RMS and the FSF

Version Dependency
May 6th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Here (http://what-grinds-my-gears.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fbi_warning.jpg)'s what I think.

Austin25
May 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I think bittorent was intended for legal file sharing, like Linux CDs, or Creative Commons music. Heh, I wonder if my isp will get suspicious if I download gigabytes of data over the weekend legally.

kseise
May 6th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Just throwing this idea out there, but would it be immoral to download a movie for a single viewing if you subscribe to Netflix and they carry the movie for streaming but don't offer a Linux client? If you pay to watch the movie online, does it really matter the source of the actual file you watch? I believe that the argument has been presented repeatedly that you don't OWN the content on the DVD you bought, you have licensed the ability to watch the content. Therefore, if you pay for the license but they can't deliver the content, can you go around their delivery mechanism?

Don't forget, piracy by bit torrent is not THEFT. Piracy is actually the creation of a duplicate file. Some would argue that the artists/studios are robbed of income, but under the scenario I presented above they still get paid. So the act of torrenting in that scenario is not a "theft".

Any thoughts?

handy
May 6th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Another thing which I always find amusing, is when the powers that be talk about lost revenues due to illegal file sharing.

The vast majority of music & video's in particular, would never have been bought by those that download them. The majority of non-professional users of Photoshop, & other incredibly expensive adobe products, would never purchase that software.

So the stated figures for lost revenue are grossly inflated above what they would realistically be.

KingYaba
May 6th, 2011, 04:18 AM
The vast majority of music & video's in particular, would never have been bought by those that download them.

Ars Technica has written a ton of articles on the subject and I'm paraphrasing a few in this post. One article sourced a Sony internal review of illegal file sharers and found that most are teenagers and college students. These are people who have little to no disposable income in the first place so suing these folk is like bleeding a rock.

Another problem is the failure of these companies to deliver. You air a show in the US and wait months to air it in the U.K. and the rest of the world; this just begs people to download it. Some times, people don't even have the option to watch the show because the channel isn't offered in the country or the formats are very different.

A 3rd issue is pricing. $20 for an American may seem reasonable for a BluRay disc but $20 for a Russian is a lot harder for a typical Russian to swallow considering average incomes are very different. Think of it like spending $50. You're pricing them out! And back to the 1st paragraph if you want more teenage and college student purchases, you have to lower the prices because these guys and gals don't make $50,000 annually with room to spend on entertainment stuffs.

And then lastly there's this little recession we've slowly been climbing out of. And with high gas prices people's entertainment budgets plus the crazy unemployment rates in this country plus the massive underemployment rates in this country contribute greatly to a reduction spending.

But hey, it's easier to blame bit torrent.

cbennett926
May 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
What about downloading music to listen to on your computer, but not sharing or distributing music to others?

Warpnow
May 6th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Companies and artists whose business models are unable or unwilling to adapt to changing times will take financial loss and possibly go out of business, not make money, or find themselves unemployed.

That's capitalism.

If companies don't adapt to the changing times, they'll go out of business. Using a falsified moral arg
Ubuntu Forums > The Ubuntu Forum Community > Forum Community Discussions
The Community Cafe
Welcome, Warpnow.
You last visited: 37 Minutes Ago at 09:04 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 46.
User CP Forum Help Forum Council New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

The Community Cafe
The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!
ument and lobbying the government is just pathetic.

Files can be reproduced with almost zero cost. This will impact the music for media. As bandwith increased over the last decade it should have massively changed the market. The optomization for spending should have fallen but didn't.

Companies are endangered by digital distribution, so try to immoralize it.

uRock
May 6th, 2011, 04:40 AM
What about downloading music to listen to on your computer, but not sharing or distributing music to others?

Theft is theft and not condoned here.

Thread Closed.