PDA

View Full Version : So tell me ....

jmore9
May 6th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Is the myth from when computers first came into their own that they would reduce or cut down on the use of paper ( hardcopy ) ?

Have you used more , less , or the same ?

Just curious - i seem to use just a little less . enough to see but not a lot less.

papibe
May 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Not a saving directly to myself, but if you choose electronic billing instead of paper bills by regular mail, it's a LOT savings in use of paper.

Regards.

deltacomp
May 6th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I don't think I have used a piece of paper in a long time. If I have, I am pretty sure I went to work and printed something cause I don't even have a printer.

3Miro
May 6th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I have a good collection of scientific papers, all electronic. This would have been a decent stack of paper.

Electronic papers make my life so much easier and carbon-paper free (OK I still use regular paper, just much less of it).

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 6th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Is the myth from when computers first came into their own that they would reduce or cut down on the use of paper ( hardcopy ) ?

Have you used more , less , or the same ?

Just curious - i seem to use just a little less . enough to see but not a lot less.

I don't use a printer.

It annoys me when someone gives me a hardcopy of something to review or make comment to. It is easier to do that in softcopy.

jfloydb
May 6th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Me, I use more paper (hard copy), because I like to read something thats in my hand. With the advent of the internet, I now have access to so much more information. If I want to read the book of Enoch, for exammple, I download and print it, so I can really take a look at it. If I want to proof-read something that I've written, I print that as well. So, for me, computers + the internet = more paper.

Irihapeti
May 6th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I recall all the talk about the "paperless office", oh, about 25-30 years ago. I don't think it's happened quite yet...

Personally, I find it easier to proof read something in hard copy. For one thing, I can spread the pages around so that I can see several at once. I'm not too sure of the other reasons, but I just know that I daren't trust screen-reading if it's an important document.

jamesjenner
May 6th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Hmm... hasn't arrived yet and in my line of work unfortunately a lot of paper get's wasted.

I remember back in the 90's that there was a push for paperless office. This was mainly a push by Notes and then by Microsoft (and whoever else jumped on the bandwagon) thinking that work flow tools like lotus notes and forms in outlook would replace the paper trail. Then ERP's got into it with work flow and so on. In all honesty it was just an excuse to sell software and development. Each business has specific needs that are often not generic, the cost to develop work flows isn't exactly cheap. Mainly the big end of town is where that happens in a drive to reduce overheads and increase efficiency.

I do think however that work flow tools lost their impact as ERP systems slowly evolved and matured. Still a long way to go, but the younger generation growing up who don't really use paper much will go a long way with helping.

Cheers,

James.

SilverDragon
May 6th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I still use a lot of paper. I like writing notes by hand and trying to design and solve problems on paper. It's also easier for me to do math homework on paper. Computer Science major with a Math minor in college.

On the other hand, my Kindle has provided me with reading that might have ended up with more books on my bookshelf but then again maybe not as a lot of those books are free and out of copyright in the US.

To answer your first question I do think part of the reason computers first came into existence was to cut down and/or eliminate the use of paper.

Fedz
May 6th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Myself (41yo) I use softcopy but, my dad (70yo) prints everything he reads online nearly - dunno why :rolleyes:

giddyup306
May 6th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I rarely ever write anything on paper. If I do, it's usually linux commands on the back of a bill, or junk mail. I don't like ebooks as much as hard copys, but I have several. I also have many audio books for when I'm on the road. :P

In conclusion, about the only time I write "caveman style" is when I have to write a check. Which is once a month for rent.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Myself (41yo) I use softcopy but, my dad (70yo) prints everything he reads online nearly - dunno why :rolleyes:

I'm 63 years old myself. The few times a year I print anything I usually have to install the printer driver, replace the dried out ink cartridges, or open a port in the firewall. :)

I do have to print some things; such as, my proof of car insurance.

I know that I am not typical for people my age. I started using computers about the time you were born. :)

I don't think age is that important. We all have different amounts of exposure and experience with computers. For example, I think a few of my grandchildren are computer illiterate.

:lolflag:

CraigPaleo
May 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I use a lot less.

clanky
May 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
It is possible to use less if people get away from their addiction to paper copies. Too many people print, stamp, sign and file documents in hard copy because "that's how we've always done it".

The other problem is that many regulatory frameworks require printed copies of documents to be filed for audit purposes.

Zero2Nine
May 6th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I have a good collection of scientific papers, all electronic. This would have been a decent stack of paper.

Electronic papers make my life so much easier and carbon-paper free (OK I still use regular paper, just much less of it).

You like reading these scientific papers from screen? When I read papers for my thesis I still prefer to have them printed out so I can underline pieces of text etc. And give my eyes some rest, not having to stare into the screen.

forrestcupp
May 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I use Quickbooks with PaperSave Plus for my church. PaperSave lets me scan all of our files and store them locally so we are now as paperless as possible. I scan about all of my personal files, too. It helps that you can download almost all billing statements as a pdf.