PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't remove Gnumeric or Abiword without also removing lubuntu-desktop?

EarlsFurniture
May 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I just upgraded Lubuntu 10.10 to 11.04. I had been slowly customizing the system for some older computers at work. I thought I had removed Gnumeric & AbiWord in favor LibreOffice. But after the upgrade I find they are back, and this time, I can't uninstall them without also losing package: lubuntu-desktop.

So just what am I losing with this?

Why would the desktop be hard-wired to a spreadsheet and word processor?

If I removed Gnumeric & Abiword, (and also lubuntu-desktop in the process) would then reinstalling lubuntu-desktop also reinstall those two apps?

I need my system to be what I need it to be, do I now have to pick a distro just to choose which apps I want?

I had chosen Lubuntu because I want to stick with *buntu systems since I run them elsewhere at work. The next runner up was Mint LXDE. At least with Mint I could choose my own software without removing key OS components in the process.

If anyone knows how to resolve this, thanks in advance.

Copper Bezel
May 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Shouldn't trouble you a jot to remove, no. It's a meta-package that ships Lubuntu's default applications and branding.

EarlsFurniture
May 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks. That's a load off my mind. Don't know why I didn't think of meta-package.