PDA

View Full Version : Calling any and all Australians, New Zealanders, Brits, and Irish folk!

user1397
May 5th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I want to move out of the USA and into any of the aforementioned countries at any costs. My main concern is change of scenery and hopefully culture, but without at least a change of language (English being my primary language, although I am also fluent in Spanish). I chose these countries as they are the primary english speaking countries in the world and are well developed, and I want to live somewhere outside the americas so Canada is a no-go (sorry if I offend any Canadians :))

I just finished my second year at a public university, where I am not doing so well and I am taking in loans to cover all tuition costs (this is one of the main reasons why I hate my situation right now). I am not going to go over my entire personal situation, as that is a complicated issue and quite frankly too personal to divulge all details on a public forum, but let's just say that I want to get the hell out of here.

I am wondering what would be the easiest, fastest way to start living and working (or maybe even just volunteering, whatever it takes) in one of these countries given my current situation.

I am constantly looking at immigration websites and things of that nature, but sometimes it is quite hard to figure out all the information since it is sometimes quite convoluted (kinda like this sentence).

Thanks in advance.

MisterGaribaldi
May 5th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Well, not to butt in, however if you're already sinking in debt, why would you want to move to countries which by definition will confiscate most of your annual income in taxes, and where the cost of living is also commensurately higher?

Moreover, the U.K. is noted for having an extremely lopsided private-to-public-sector employment ratio, ranging generally above 53% government employees (with Northern Ireland the worst at 83%). If you're thinking about leaving the U.S. for a better economy, I suggest you seriously consider looking elsewhere. Any place that's that top-heavy (and the U.S., while not as bad as that, has its own set of comparable issues) is simply not going to be sustainable in the long run.

Again, no disrespect intended towards the folks living in the U.K.

OTOH, have you considered living in Hong Kong? The taxes there are practically non-existent (especially for individuals) and they have an extremely vibrant and robust, highly-sustainable economy and English is common as heck there, too.

3Miro
May 5th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Well, not to butt in, however if you're already sinking in debt, why would you want to move to countries which by definition will confiscate most of your annual income in taxes, and where the cost of living is also commensurately higher?

Taxes are not the same as confiscation, so long as you get something back. Have you had to work in the USA for an employer that doesn't provide health insurance? This can never happen in the U.K. Scandinavian countries have some of the highest tax rates in the world, yet they have some of the most stable economies as well as some of the highest standard of living.

You are right about UK vs USA cost of living though. Stuff in the UK is ridiculously expensive and the salaries don't seem higher.

Moreover, the U.K. is noted for having an extremely lopsided private-to-public-sector employment ratio, ranging generally above 53% government employees (with Northern Ireland the worst at 83%). If you're thinking about leaving the U.S. for a better economy, I suggest you seriously consider looking elsewhere. Any place that's that top-heavy (and the U.S., while not as bad as that, has its own set of comparable issues) is simply not going to be sustainable in the long run.

What does public to private employees ratio have to do with the stable vs unstable economy? 83% is too high (going into state property land), but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with 53%.

For the record, I visited UK last year, but I don't live there.

OTOH, have you considered living in Hong Kong? The taxes there are practically non-existent (especially for individuals) and they have an extremely vibrant and robust, highly-sustainable economy and English is common as heck there, too.

There are actually many places that have almost adopted English. If you don't mind living in a country that has English as a second language, the options broaden quite a bit.

krapp
May 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Before this thread veers off into anti-tax-land (very bizarre place to non-Americans), I'd like to suggest that you try another part of the US before jumping the pond. Urban areas in the US vary greatly in size, culture, way of life, etc. Without a job or matriculation overseas it will be very hard to secure the necessary paperwork for residency, at least in Europe. Most people either get their job or their university to sponsor them, or they marry into citizenship.

Perhaps you can look for teaching English abroad trips for a summer (since you're still in school) and then take it from there?

Smilax
May 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Moreover, the U.K. is noted for having an extremely lopsided private-to-public-sector employment ratio, ranging generally above 53% government employees (with Northern Ireland the worst at 83%).

ehh, 83% gov employess,

are you saying more than 8 out of ten people work for government, thats a no.

wiki say

public sector in Northern Ireland accounted for 30.8% of the total workforce.

and i think it's fine to come to uk, lots of jobs, only real differfence is price of gas, but it's a lot smaller than the states, so no worry's there. get the train to work.

Irihapeti
May 5th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Something I've had to learn the hard way:

Wherever I go, I take myself with me. It's very easy for me to kid myself that the problem lies in the surroundings when it may have much more to do with the way I think about and react to circumstances.

It's so easy to believe that life will be better somewhere else, and after being there for a while, find most of the same problems in local colouring.

I ran into some of that after my last relocation, from rural town to big city. When I got to talk to the locals, and in particular savvy people who had lived in a number of different places, I discovered that many of my reasons for moving were in fact myths. Sure, they seemed like they made sense, but they weren't based on facts.

I'm not the only one. In my line of work, I come across many folk who blame their surroundings, when the real issue is what they bring with them.

It's worth thinking about.

sydbat
May 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM

Wherever I go, I take myself with me. It's very easy for me to kid myself that the problem lies in the surroundings when it may have much more to do with the way I think about and react to circumstances.

It's so easy to believe that life will be better somewhere else, and after being there for a while, find most of the same problems in local colouring.

I ran into some of that after my last relocation, from rural town to big city. When I got to talk to the locals, and in particular savvy people who had lived in a number of different places, I discovered that many of my reasons for moving were in fact myths. Sure, they seemed like they made sense, but they weren't based on facts.

I'm not the only one. In my line of work, I come across many folk who blame their surroundings, when the real issue is what they bring with them.

It's worth thinking about./thread

user1397
May 6th, 2011, 12:18 AM

It's worth thinking about.Very wise words and I agree that for some people this is the reason and not their surroundings. I think I know myself enough to know that at least in my particular case, it IS my surroundings, the people around me, and my situation, and if some of it could be attributed to me it would be very little. Sometimes a drastic change of life or lifestyle is needed, and people just need to go somewhere else and experience a new life.

I've already decided this, the idea is fixed in my mind, and is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Again, thanks for your suggestion though.

BertN45
May 6th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Look at unemployment percentages in those countries before you take a decision. Also consder some of the smaller countries in Northern Europe, like Sweden, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands. E.g in the Netherlands unemployment is 4% so the chances of finding a job are good. English is not a big problem, almost everybody with a high school education speaks English In Europe, even in France nowadays. I am Durch and during my whole professional life, all reports I had to write had to be done in English. Many multi national companies in the smaller countries have standardized on English.

Irihapeti
May 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I know that there is information on getting a work permit in New Zealand on the NZ Immigration website (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/). It's not very straightforward. The same applies to getting permanent residency - a family member recently went through this regarding their partner, so I've seen this at close range, so to speak.

Older editions of "What Color is your Parachute?" (R.N. Bolles) had a section about finding work overseas. I've not read a more recent version but I'm assuming it's still there. The book is widely regarded as a gold standard in job hunting guides, so is worth a read.

MisterGaribaldi
May 6th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Before this thread veers off into anti-tax-land (very bizarre place to non-Americans), I'd like to suggest that you try another part of the US before jumping the pond.

Putting aside what has been going on from roughly the 50s/60s or thereabouts, classic American socio-economic philosophy has been significantly different than that found in and across Europe. This includes our views on such things as taxation, economic "schools" of thought, role of government (and scope thereof), etc.

It's not my goal or intent to argue for or against here; I clearly have my own views, but my only intent is to agree with what krapp said. Europe and the U.S. are two very different places. Again, not with any intent of "getting into it", but one of the biggest stumbling blocks here for, say, many Europeans, in seeing our American points of view is that we start out with fairly radically different world views and so forth. Also sadly absent from many such conversations is the discussion of those parts of our (American) philosophy which lead us to where we stand as a nation.

Not intending to belittle anyone here, or poke fun or any other form of disrespect. It's just a difference that (experience tells me) we will never really close the gap on.

Speaking of going to the UK, I used to think it'd be cool to go there and work my way up, down, left and right across the country in pubs, where I could talk to people and listen to them and just immerse myself in the culture. So, I can empathize with the OP's notion of going over there. I actually really would like to visit the UK one day. There's a rich tapestry of history there, and many of the finer points of my own country originate from there. Plus, it's cool to see stuff that's hundreds or even thousands of years old.

Shmantiv_Radio
May 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Look at unemployment percentages in those countries before you take a decision. Also consder some of the smaller countries in Northern Europe, like Sweden, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands. E.g in the Netherlands unemployment is 4% so the chances of finding a job are good. English is not a big problem, almost everybody with a high school education speaks English In Europe, even in France nowadays. I am Durch and during my whole professional life, all reports I had to write had to be done in English. Many multi national companies in the smaller countries have standardized on English.

@ the OP. If this in anyway sways you on moving to a Scandinavian country, make it Denmark or Norway. Sweden is the most boring place on the planet. It's beautiful, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING happens outside of Stockholm.

Just a warning :P

MisterGaribaldi
May 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
It's beautiful...

From the photos and videos I've seen over the years, all I can say is "You got that right!"

handy
May 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
It is very hard to get permanent residency in Oz, if you don't have your own money & professional qualifications.

You should be able to get work in China, or other Asian, South East Asian countries teaching English.

I know of someone who worked for years in China, being paid very well, & all he had to do was talk English with his groups of Chinese students. No writing, no grammatical rules or spelling, just speaking!

jhonan
May 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
You can cross Ireland off your list. I don't know if you follow current affairs, but the economy here is basically down the toilet. Whatever money you do make you'll be taxed to the hilt on.

In fact, a large number of young Irish people are moving to Australia and Asia to work.

jamesjenner
May 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM
G'day mate,

nice to see the land down under getting a mention in the locals you've decided to have a gander at.

Well Australia is generally a pretty laid back place, Americans find it quite easy fitting into Australia.

I'm not an expert on Immigration laws for Australia but I'm pretty sure you can come over here if your under 30 pretty easily in terms of work and so on. A lot of backpackers do that (not sure if it applies to American's, I know it applies to Europeans and our mates the Poms).

It won't be cheap to come over, you will need to show some means of supporting yourself. Personally if I was in your shoes I wouldn't consider moving to another country unless I had a pre-paid ticket (say a year on it) to get me back home and enough money to pay for accommodation and food for a few months. You will need to have insurance for medical coverage to be here though, don't think there is a way around that (but from memory it's not that exy).

Back packers are damn cheap to stay in and often there are cheap food options (ie by your own food). Just work out the costs and be able to prove to Customs when you come that you have considered all this. I think this may apply to any country to be honest.

As for jobs, well unemployment over here is under 5% from memory, but it can be quite high for youth. There is a general feeling that most of the youth get it to easy from the government for not working and can't be bothered to pull their finger out and get a job. Recently had some French backpackers stay here for a year and they loved it. Each time they ran out of money they just found a job and worked (sometimes it was just Macca's).

Remember that in Australia there is a minimum wage (umm around $17 an hour I think, maybe it's $15), there are no tips, the wage is quite good. The minimum often goes up when your casual. For examle, working in Woolies will get you $25 an hour casual rates.

Oh last point, Australian Dollar is like $1.10 American right now, so costs you a bit for conversion but the money here is god compared to America. Cost of living is more here, so I would recommend Brisbane over Melbourne or Sydney. Melbourne is kinda like a European City, while Sydney is the party capital. Brissy is pretty laid back and nice and warm (like Miami I spose).

Good luck mate and remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Cheers,

James.

Grenage
May 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I visit Sweden twice a year, and the scenery in wonderful. It's such a well-maintained county, unlike the filth-pit that is most of the UK. To each their own; I personally think that most people with a strong desire to move are usually trying to fill some sort of void on their life. A change of scenery is usually only a temporary fix.

Shmantiv_Radio
May 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I visit Sweden twice a year, and the scenery in wonderful. It's such a well-maintained county, unlike the filth-pit that is most of the UK

QFT. I go there 3 months every year, and coming back to the UK is always like walking into a dump. At least the UK isn't boring though :3

Grenage
May 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
QFT. I go there 3 months every year, and coming back to the UK is always like walking into a dump. At least the UK isn't boring though :3

True, but when you have relatively boring interests, it doesn't have much of an impact. ;)

Shmantiv_Radio
May 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM
True, but when you have relatively boring interests, it doesn't have much of an impact. ;)

lol :P

TeoBigusGeekus
May 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Come to Greece, the land of wealth and opportunity. :mrgreen:

Seriously now, you should consider Scandinavia.

Johnsie
May 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
If you're smart you can do well in most places. Economically I think standards will be dropping in most Western countries over the next few years though. Fierce competition from China means that living standards will need to be lowered in Western countries.

Gas and food prices are set to soar because demand is higher than supply thanks to the developing countries. Jobs will go to China, India etc. unless westerners become more willing to work for less.

mister_p_1998
May 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Don't come to the UK looking for a job mate, jobs are dropping like flies, especially in local government!

Steve

tadcan
May 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I would echo the comments said about Ireland. Unless you have a specialized IT skill then you will find stiff competition for work. There are more job opportunities in London then Dublin if you come this direction.

As for where you go, you take you with you. While this was said to me before I went out traveling and is true. The act of going somewhere new, being out of your comfort zone and basically seeing things in a new way is invaluable. I learned a lot that I wouldn't have if I'd stayed at home.

Paqman
May 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM

It's worth thinking about.

I couldn't agree more. As someone who's an immigrant, hung out with and known a lot of immigrants, and known quite a few who've moved because the "grass is greener" I can tell you categorically that it isn't. By all means, go experience another country, it's a hugely rewarding experience, but don't expect it to solve any of your problems. People who move expecting things to change usually end up disappointed, and end up going back home, or end up hopping from place to place hoping that one more move will magically fix everything.

retbak
May 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Not sure where you get your info from! The Tory government are hell-bent on cutting any public spending. I would suggest the US economy is in a far worse position given its crippling debt and inability to make cuts/avoid printing money.

I wouldn't move to Britain though, I'd go see some culture.

HappinessNow
May 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Calling any and all Australians, New Zealanders, Brits, and Irish folk!

I want to move out of the USA and into any of the aforementioned countries at any costs. My main concern is change of scenery and hopefully culture, but without at least a change of language (English being my primary language, although I am also fluent in Spanish). I chose these countries as they are the primary english speaking countries in the world and are well developed, and I want to live somewhere outside the americas so Canada is a no-go (sorry if I offend any Canadians :))

I just finished my second year at a public university, where I am not doing so well and I am taking in loans to cover all tuition costs (this is one of the main reasons why I hate my situation right now). I am not going to go over my entire personal situation, as that is a complicated issue and quite frankly too personal to divulge all details on a public forum, but let's just say that I want to get the hell out of here.

I am wondering what would be the easiest, fastest way to start living and working (or maybe even just volunteering, whatever it takes) in one of these countries given my current situation.

I am constantly looking at immigration websites and things of that nature, but sometimes it is quite hard to figure out all the information since it is sometimes quite convoluted (kinda like this sentence).

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately for you a Bachelors degree now of days is pretty much equivalent to what a high school diploma was about 10-15 years ago.

Meaning that you have to look at what you have to offer and quite frankly you don't even have the basics of a degree under your belt, which is a basic requirement for the peace corps and most teaching jobs to teach conversational English.

Then you factor in that you are burdened with debt. It starts to look like you are just running from your responsibilities!

Someone has to be brutally honest with you, stay put and suck it up, work on getting your basics completed first complete your Bachelors degree before you consider moving anywhere, unless it is to go overseas to finish your school.

with that said, there are many more English speaking counties then you listed in your OP(title of your thread), someone mentioned Hong Kong but also Singapore and South African and Belize...you should consider all the Commonwealth of Nations that has Queen Elizabeth II as its monarch and head of state:

1. Antigua and Barbuda
2. Australia
3. The Bahamas
4. Barbados
5. Belize
6. Canada
7. Grenada
8. Jamaica
9. New Zealand
10. Papua New Guinea
11. Saint Kitts and Nevis
12. Saint Lucia
13. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
14. Solomon Islands
15. Tuvalu
16. United Kingdom

then there are Former Commonwealth realms

1. Sri Lanka
2. Fiji
3. Gambia
4. Ghana
5. Guyana
6. India
7. Ireland
8. Kenya
9. Malawi
10. Malta
11. Mauritius
12. Nigeria
13. Sierra Leone
14. South Africa
15. Tanzania
16. Trinidad and Tobago
17. Uganda

also British Overseas Territories

1. Anguilla
2. Bermuda
3. British Antarctic Territory
4. British Indian Ocean Territory
5. British Virgin Islands
6. Cayman Islands
7. Falkland Islands
8. Gibraltar
9. Montserrat
10. Pitcairn Islands
11. Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
12. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
13. Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia
14. Turks and Caicos Islands

Unique places in history that still speak a lot of English that where at one time under British rule:

1. Hong Kong already mentioned

2. Singapore - English is the first language of the nation and is the language of business, government and medium of instruction in schools

3. Israel (once under British rule) which for the most part all Israelis speak English in fact it is a traditional rite of passage for young Europeans to join a Kibbutz in Israel (http://goo.gl/vUqOa)

in fact looking at the last mentioned option you can actually volunteer on an Organic Family Farm

The farm is an organic family farm on a Moshav growing pomegranates, pecans, leafy greens like lettuce and arugula, herbs, pineapple, vegetables, and they are adding even more!

Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and able to commit to a minimum volunteering stay of two weeks.

The farm accepts volunteers year round.

The Moshav is close to Tel Aviv and the beach, but with all the beauty of a rural community.

Spaces are extremely limited!http://goo.gl/T7PDy

Anyway good luck in whatever you do but you should finish your Bachelors degree before you move on anywhere ;-)

jhonan
May 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
10. Pitcairn Islands

Population
- (2010 estimate) 48

"Welcome to the island laddie. Now, where's your degree certificate?"

sydbat
May 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately for you a Bachelors degree now of days is pretty much equivalent to what a high school diploma was about 10-15 years ago.Not sure where you are, or where you get your information, but a degree of any kind is significantly more than the equivalent of a 'high school diploma'.

Most people cannot afford to go to university, even in countries that heavily subsidize post-secondary education. Those that are able to go to university are grateful and work very hard to earn their degrees.

Also, having a degree (even a bachelors) equates to higher earnings and more career stability than simply finishing high school.

Finally, most countries want people who immigrate to have degrees so they can become productive members of society sooner.

Grenage
May 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Not sure where you are, or where you get your information, but a degree of any kind is significantly more than the equivalent of a 'high school diploma'.

Most people cannot afford to go to university, even in countries that heavily subsidize post-secondary education. Those that are able to go to university are grateful and work very hard to earn their degrees.

Also, having a degree (even a bachelors) equates to higher earnings and more career stability than simply finishing high school.

Finally, most countries want people who immigrate to have degrees so they can become productive members of society sooner.

I believe that HappinessNow was probably referring to the sheer number of people who now leave education with a degree. While the qualifications are hardly the same, it's a lot more common for an applicant to have one than it used to be.

It's really very career-specific. Experience tends to count more in some scenarios, but a degree is always handy for getting your foot in the proverbial door.

jonathonblake
May 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Not sure where you are, or where you get your information, but a degree of any kind is significantly more than the equivalent of a 'high school diploma'.

You aren't familiar with education in the united states.

Somebody who graduated from fifth grade in 1965 would, if they were instantly time warped from 1965 into 2011, be better equipped academically to handle any job they were given, than somebody who graduated from twelfth grade in 2011. If a graduate of twelfth grade from 1965 was instantly time warped from 1965 into 2011, they would be better equipped academically to handle any job they were given, than somebody who graduated with a BA in 2011.

The sole reason jobs require a degree, is to sort out the people who could not afford to pay for college, or figure out how to take on US$40K of debt, from those that could not figure out how to take on debt, or get somebody else to pay their way through college. In terms of education, there is no difference. Both college graduates and high school graduates need remedial training for the workplace.

having a degree (even a bachelors) equates to higher earnings and more career stability than simply finishing high school.

In the united states, earnings and career stability correlate with where the degree was obtained, and what field it is in;
* The best case scenario is that your earnings will be much higher than with a high school diploma;
* The typical scenario is that earnings are _slightly_ higher than with just a high school diploma;
* The worst case scenario is that your earnings are significantly less than if you just had a high school diploma;

For certain population segments, that "worst case scenario" is the most common scenario. Within the last two decades, that scenario is not only popping up more frequently, but is working its way into becoming more firmly entrenched in the American non-educational system.

most countries want people who immigrate to have degrees so they can become productive members of society sooner.

This is where you have to read the very fine print in immigration policies. The usual breakdown is specific trades or professional degrees are required for permanent immigrant status, but "unskilled labour" for grunt work, for temporary immigrant status is acceptable.

jonathon

jonathonblake
May 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM
My main concern is change of scenery and hopefully culture, but without at least a change of language

You can get that by switching to a different academic institution, in a different part of the united states.

I chose these countries as they are the primary English speaking countries in the world and are well developed,

If you can afford to take two or three years off, for a grand tour (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia) do that.

Skip the United Kingdom and Ireland. Those countries are having severe financial problems. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the austerity measures that were enforced during the Great War, were re-introduced.

where I am not doing so well

If that is a reference to your academic performance, then you need to have a serious talk with somebody outside of academia, to discuss the direction your days in academia should take.

and I am taking in loans to cover all tuition costs

The first two issues here are:
What is the total indebtedness:

What is the principle of that indebtedness;
What is the interest rate on that indebtedness;
How is the interest calculated;

What is the indebtedness, as a percentage of your annual income;

Two years in college. Probably US$20K - US$30K in debt. If it is more than that, you need sound financial counselling immediately.

Regardless, you need to setup a plan so that you can get that debt paid off, prior to emigrating elsewhere.

Most countries not only require immigrants to be debt free, but to have enough financial resources to live for at least one year in the host country. Some countries have upped the financial requirements to being able to live for at least ten years within the host country. (That requirement includes being able to pay for any and all medical care for the ten years.)

what would be the easiest, fastest way to start living and working

All of the legitimate organizations I'm familiar with, that accept individuals for labour in other countries, require the individual to be debt free, and in excellent health.

Depending upon the specific organization, the physical can be as ho-hum as an FAA required physical, or extremely intrusive, requiring four or five days to complete, and six to eight weeks to get the lab results back. Sometimes the cost of the physical is borne by the organization, but usually it is borne by the individual.

The debt free part can be as casual as pulling a credit report for employment purposes, or as intensive as being the subject of an IRS compliance audit, except instead of looking at data for one year, it looks at data for at least the last five years.

I am constantly looking at immigration websites and things of that nature,

Then you'll know that the only way to ensure that a country will accept you as an immigrant, is to have "landed immigrant" status, when you formally immigrate into that country.

#####

Things you need to pay attention to:
* Economic forcast;
* Potential wars/civil uprisings;
* "Planned" natural disasters;

The State Bank of Vietnam is doing its utmost to ensure that US$1.00 is is never worth less than VND20,000, and preferably is worth at least VND50,000 before the end of next year.

The entire European Union is poised to be taken down by the fiscally "sick" countries within it. Either individual countries will have less control over their finances, or the entire thing will crumble.

Every country in the 10-40 belt is a good candidate for becoming a war zone within a decade, if it is not yet one. (The countries that aren't being split apart by religious tensions, are being split apart by ethnic tensions. The least stable are facing both religious and ethnic tensions.)

The Maldives, Marshall Islands, and Midway Islands are all doomed to extinction, due to rising sea levels.

The eastern seaboard of the United States is doomed to extinction, when the Canary Islands falls into the Atlantic Ocean. (The resulting tsunami won't just drown the Empire State Building, but also remove it from its foundation.)

Dry Lips
May 6th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Ubuntuman001

Don't despair if your situation seem hopeless right now, there are other
ways out of the mess you're in than moving to another country. Emigrating
is no quick fix for personal problems. I'm not saying that to find another
path for your feet is a bad idea if you feel that you're heading nowhere at the
moment, but to take a chance and run away to another country will not do
you good. Your shadow will follow you. You cannot run away from yourself.

Instead of running, turn around and face your problems. You probably feel
that your problems are more than you can handle on your own. An important
lesson you need to learn is how to receive help, even if it seems humiliating.

I sincerely hope you'll find your path,

Dry Lips

linuxforartists
May 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Since you're still a university student, I'd recommend trying to study abroad first. Moving to another country is a big step, not to be taken lightly. Studying abroad will give you enough time to explore a place a little deeper, beyond the first week "honeymoon period." Then you can make a more informed decision about whether you really want to live there permanently.

Head over to your university's study abroad office and find out your options. The best you can hope for is to find that your university has a "sister school" relationship with another school in one of your target countries. Then the classes you take overseas will transfer back to your home institution. This is important, as I've had friends study abroad, but then be forced to take an extra semester when they returned, because their credits didn't carry over. If you're lucky, sometimes your home school will transfer your financial aid to the foreign school while you're there. There's a great movie about studying abroad called L'auberge Espagnole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_Luck_%282002_film%29) (The Spanish Apartment). Worth watching, I saw it shortly before I studied abroad in England.

If you only get a bachelor's degree, you could teach English in Asia. South Korea is supposed to be the best for saving money, because they pay for your flight and housing. A lot of college graduates pay off their student loans by doing a year or two in South Korea. You can get more info at Dave's ESL Cafe (http://www.eslcafe.com/). Though my personal favorite place is Taiwan.

I echo what others have said, you need specialized skills if you want to get better jobs. Information technology, web design, etc. Otherwise, you'll still be struggling financially abroad, with the added worry about immigration and your visa expiring.

For background, I've studied abroad in England. Lived in China and Taiwan for 5 years. Tons of trips around Europe and Asia in the meantime.

Irihapeti was right about the problem being ourselves, not necessarily where we are. The good thing about travel is that it removes the voices telling you what to do with your life. The bad thing is that it doesn't automatically make your heart speak any louder. You need to get better at listening to what your heart is saying.

In my case, although I loved travel, I felt too much like I was drifting. For some people that's okay, but I realized that it wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I learned a ton from traveling. And I plan to travel in the future. But do anything for too long and you start to stagnate.

That's why I decided to return to the United States and study web design. Great to be learning new things, and around people with jobs other than teaching English.

Books that might help:
The Four Hour Workweek (http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/) by Tim Ferriss. Basically about how to use globalization to create the ideal lifestyle for yourself. He can seem smug and obnoxious, though. What makes it different from other success books is that there a ton of resources, websites, etc. so you can follow through on what he talks about.

What Should I Do With My Life? (http://www.pobronson.com/index_what_should_I_do_with_my_life.htm) by Po Bronson. I turn to this book over and over again when I'm wrestling with my life direction. While Ferriss' book can seem too slick and facile, Bronson's book is much deeper and more thoughtful. For such a hard question, there are no easy answers, and his book reflects that.

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel (http://www.vagabonding.net/) by Rolf Potts. This is the book that motivated me to travel and live abroad. Inspirational and practical.

Marcus Goes Global (http://www.marcusgoesglobal.com/) - not a book, it's my travel blog. If my experience can help someone else, that's great.

Good luck with your plans to live abroad.

aguafina
May 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM
You still need a VISA even if you apply for pr for any of them countries,
the UK is an increasingly expensive place to live with a two tier social
system and is in the top 3 worldwide offenders for inequality, only U.S and
Brazil are worse in that respect.

sanderella
May 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Train as a nurse, midwife, or teacher, you can get a job in any country of the world.

Alternatively, it's easier to get employment in the merchant navy, or your own country's armed forces if you want to travel.

Coming to work in the UK from the USA can be quite traumatic for some people. We ARE different countries, even the foods have different names.

If I were you, I'd dig my heels, finish the education, and then look for jobs abroad.

KdotJ
May 8th, 2011, 06:09 PM
UK is nice, but if you do come here, try not to become ill or need some sort of operation... Otherwise you will have to join the NHS's 16783766288846 year waiting list...

rich52x
May 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM
The UK is a nice enough place, if you don't mind the rain.
But on a serious note, with all the cuts it is becoming an even harder place to live, and the price of petrol is just ridiculous.
Finding a job shouldn't be too hard, after all there are plenty of McDonald's and KFC's around.

CraigPaleo
May 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM
UK is nice, but if you do come here, try not to become ill or need some sort of operation... Otherwise you will have to join the NHS's 16783766288846 year waiting list...

I had to wait a year to have back surgery, suffering the entire time because my insurance company didn't think it was necessary.

Capitalism and health care don't mix. The incentive is to save as much money as possible by cutting corners, not to make you well. You'll hear Canadians complain about wait times but they have nothing to compare it to. The Canadians I know who've also lived in the US prefer their national health care over ours.

To the OP, you have a lot of good advice here.