PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems on installing Ubuntu 10.04 +

Altheas
May 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Ok hopefully one of you have experienced this or more importantly know how to fix or avoid this problem. But allow me to start from the beginning.

So when i first came to Ubuntu from windows it was during 9.10 being the latest version at the time. I knew nothing of linux as much as i do now which is still very limited, but the point is that the installation of 9.10 there was no problems at all! but as soon as 10.04 came to be the LTS i wanted to switch so i downloaded the OS and put it on a CD to create a clean install, which is just something i prefer every time a new operating system comes out. But on this new OS, the graphical installation was not working at all. I literally could not see anything but the background wallpaper and my mouse (Yes I did perform the md5 sum check disc method, and even was able to install it on my uncles laptop with no problems, so it wasn't the disc).

So I began to read up on it and found a suggestion to try installing with an alternative disc, so i tried that and was able to install it successfully, but every single time i tried to log in it STILL ended up giving me the same problem. So i read on it some more and found that installing the graphic drivers through command line by pressing ctrl+alt+F1 at the login screen seemed to be the correct solution to my problem which i have no clue why. my graphics card is pretty descent.

Anyways i got 10.04 working after a long time of reading and researching. Now here is a new problem 11.04 just came out and the installation was a success (through the alternative disc) but now problem is that i can't even access the command line at the login screen to be able to enter the command line necessary to function with a graphical interface. The only way for me to get it to work was to get 10.10 than upgrade. which is extremely undesirable due to my OCD of wanting clean installs with a new OS.

My other concern is that if I'm not able to do this from 11.04 whats going to happen when the new ubuntu linux comes out and I have start upgrading again! Or lets say that I need to do a fresh install of my OS due to a massive clutter of junk that I need to clean out, and I need to start from ubuntu 10.10 than slowly upgrade my way to the new OS because I cannot manage to do something that I shouldn't have to do in the first place to get an OS to work.

Things to Note:

1)I love ubuntu so don't get the idea I'm trashing it in anyway or form, only looking for a solution, because I want to stick with ubuntu

2)My specs are:
-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Memory : 8196MB (2423MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
Date/Time : Thu 05 May 2011 02:38:43 PM PDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 9800 GX2/PCI/SSE2

Please someone help me and thank you in advance for the kind and prompt attention

fcorourke
May 6th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi :-) ~~ I will be watching this closely as almost every time I upgrade from 7.04 -- it seems you are going forward & backwards at the same time. I hate an upgrade as you must re-install printer drivers [which can go from very simple to a dance of commands to get your same printer to work-- frustrating & that says nothing about the scanner, once printer is working :-) ] & graphics can be trouble -- made me switch to Nvidia GPU's as those cards have less problems most of the time. I wish you well & will be watching to see what you need to get things smoother --- personally what I read about 10.04 & benefits will not get me to move soon as I am lazy & 11.04 sounds like fun if you own 2 computers at the least :-) or close friends & plenty of gas. With a dirty upgrade, you can always go back :-) -- but I do see your point..

Fred