PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer hangs whenUpgrading from 10.10 to 11.04

Chris62
May 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hi,

I have a major problem. I have a dual boot machine with Windows and Ubuntu. The machine has 2 hard discs with Windows on one and Ubuntu on the other.

I started to upgrade Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 and the upgrade nearly went to completion but hung just before the end. I did not know if it was doing anything because the hard disc light was on but not flashing so after 15 minutes of the non-flashing hard disc light I switched the computer off and then started it again.

A new boot menu appeared offering a choice between the 'new' version of Ubuntu, "Previous versions of Ubuntu" and Windows. Clicking on the new version of Ubuntu did nothing - just a black screen as also did clicking on "previous versions of Ubuntu". The only option on the boot menu that works is clicking on Windows.

Is there any way of getting the installation to carry on from where it hung and go on to completion or will I have to re-install from the CD?

The boot menu also has the option to repair the installation but this does nothing either - it starts to run and then hangs