PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Work Around May Be Just Around The Corner

WhiteNoiseParser
May 5th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I honestly think that a Netflix work around could happen within the next couple of months. Wine already has gotten Silverlight 2 to work with Wine and once someone gets a patch for Silverlight 4 to work in Wine we are good.

I was bored yesterday and decided to play around with Wine. I downloaded Firefox 3.6 for Windows. Went to Netflix and they said I needed to install Silverlight 4. The installation failed. So I installed Silverlight 2 and took the program files for Silverlight 4 from my Windows partition and copied them over the Silverlight 2 installation.

The amazing thing was when I went to about:plugins, it actually showed me as having Silverlight 4. Then I went to Netflix and it would take forever to load then it say to restart my browser after installation. Epic Fail, lol.

But I think that the patch for Silverlight 4 is very doable. I am going to post the output of the Wine debug on the Wine mailing list.

But I think that once the developers really look at this, it is only a matter of time before we are watching Netflix on Ubuntu.

What do you think? Do you think it will be very hard to get Silverlight 4 to work with Wine?

forrestcupp
May 5th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Nice find. Hopefully soon it we'll be there.

The amazing thing was when I went to about:plugins, it actually showed me as having Silverlight 4.

Great example of an accidental smiley. :)