PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Relocate Launcher under TwinView

spoxox
May 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Occasional Ubuntu user, brand new (Windows Vista) WUBI Natty installation, nvidia GeForce 7600 GT card with two DVI outputs to two dissimilar monitors.

My original boot recognized only the Dell S2409W monitor (DFP-0) on my right, and placed the Unity Launcher ribbon along its left side. The ASUS VH236H (DFP-1) on the left was disabled. I installed the nvidia-settings package, and used it to enable the ASUS monitor and identify their relative positions. I'm using the TwinView configuration.

The Launcher ribbon remains on the left side of the right monitor - i.e., centered on the combined desktop. I have rebooted, and examined other configuration settings unsuccessfully.

The question: Is there any software configuration that will move the Launcher to the left monitor (ASUS DFP-1)? I'd rather avoid switching cables, and I want the monitors positioned as they are.

Many thanks.

SilverWave
May 9th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Occasional Ubuntu user, brand new (Windows Vista) WUBI Natty installation, nvidia GeForce 7600 GT card with two DVI outputs to two dissimilar monitors.

My original boot recognized only the Dell S2409W monitor (DFP-0) on my right, and placed the Unity Launcher ribbon along its left side. The ASUS VH236H (DFP-1) on the left was disabled. I installed the nvidia-settings package, and used it to enable the ASUS monitor and identify their relative positions. I'm using the TwinView configuration.

The Launcher ribbon remains on the left side of the right monitor - i.e., centered on the combined desktop. I have rebooted, and examined other configuration settings unsuccessfully.

The question: Is there any software configuration that will move the Launcher to the left monitor (ASUS DFP-1)? I'd rather avoid switching cables, and I want the monitors positioned as they are.

Many thanks.

Yes it can be done but, for me it involves playing around with the settings for about 5 min each start up :-(

One of the things I do is set the right most monitor "make this the primary display for x screen".
Also ensure you are using the recommended Nvidia driver "Current" works much better than "173" for my setup.

SilverWave
May 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Yes it can be done but, for me it involves playing around with the settings for about 5 min each start up :-(

One of the things I do is set the right most monitor "make this the primary display for x screen".
Also ensure you are using the recommended Nvidia driver "Current" works much better than "173" for my setup.

Heh I have a solution thanks to your question clarifying the issue in my mind. :-)

I swapped the dvi cables connecting to my graphics card over :-D

Now my left most monitor is the start-up monitor and I turn my right most monitor on via twin view.

Cheers.

The rest of my natty related stuff can be found here:

http://silverwav.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/ubuntu-natty-narwhal-11-04-stunning-and-beautiful/

spoxox
May 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Glad we could help each other!

Thanks for the replies.