PDA

View Full Version : Can I Unity In Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix

ashickur.noor
May 5th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Can I Unity In Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix? If I can how?

Krytarik
May 5th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Nope, no Unity for Lucid, not even an early version.

The same here, tried it earlier.

Greetings.

ashickur.noor
May 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Nope, no Unity for Lucid, not even an early version.

The same here, tried it earlier.

Greetings.
I like Unity but can not leave the LTS and stability of Lucid. So What can I do? Why it's like this that Lucid can not have the Unity.

May be for Unity is still immature so it can not be used in Lucid which is fully matured.

Krytarik
May 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Basically, once a release is out, no major upgrades will be applied to it, the same for Maverick, there you can only get an early version of Unity.

If someone does the work to compile an app for a certain release and provides it through a PPA or as deb-package, you are in luck. If not, you could only compile it yourself.

Usually, you'll find PPAs for major apps, but for Unity that's not the case, so far.

And no, that has nothing to do with stability, you wouldn't say of Firefox 4 that it's unstable, right!? Just an example.

sanderd17
May 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The stability of an LTS is the fact that no new feautures get included. Once a release is brought and you got it working, it will keep working since only necessary bugfixes and security fixes will be updated.

A non-LTS version is about as safe as the LTS version, the only thing is that you have to upgrade in a faster tempo and with each upgrade, you can break al kinds of things.

So: if you want it safe, use an LTS and don't upgrade for a long time. If you want new features: upgrade every 6 months and you will get a bunch of new features twice a year.

Installing things from a .deb file or some ppa is possible, but it is certainly not safe. You need to trust the person who compiled it that he tested it a lot on different configurations. Most of the time, one person doesn't have the time to do that. And so, most ppa's are released just for testing purpose: to see if there are any errors and fix those errors.

What I do to get the safest method:

I have two partitions for two linux OS'es and one for data. I always have one main distro and an older one. When a new distro comes out, I replace the older one by the brand new. If the brand new distro breaks (because I fooled around with it), I still have the one I used before. And even if GRUB broke, I could repair it in a few minutes and continue working on the previous distro.

This way, you have new features and a backup for safety. It only costs about 15GB space or even less.

ashickur.noor
May 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the discussion. I also do but not like you. I install different distro of Linux in separate petition. Like Ubuntu in one other Debian.

Krytarik
May 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I generally have only one Linux running at a time. And I plan sticking with Lucid at least until its support ends, end of April 2013. If you want to try Unity, just burn and run a liveCD. I plan to do so somewhere in the next days.