PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Ubuntu, for now.

MasterNetra
May 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM
While I've enjoyed Ubuntu personally, I am trying to get my own company up and running, and well I've been trained on Adobe products, I've tried going OSS alternatives but having a hard time adjusting to it and find myself always wanting to go back to the Adobe CS suite. So I'm leaving Ubuntu and linux in general for now at least. Already have Windows 7 up and running and have my CS suite installed and ready and intend to install the windows versions of OSS alternatives to work on non-time sentive projects until I can become as efficent or more so on them as I am on CS.
Meanwhile not leaving the forums or anything, I'll be lurking around still and monitoring ubuntu and linux's progress in general, even live-cd testing new Ubuntu releases as they come out. Not that anyone would miss me anyway, but meh.

santy_kushwaha
May 5th, 2011, 04:18 AM
thanks for all the contributions you did for the community.

Tibuda
May 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM
That's a step forward IMO. I mean having your own business. You must use the best tools to offer the best service to your customers.

wojox
May 6th, 2011, 01:58 AM
That's a step forward IMO. I mean having your own business. You must use the best tools to offer the best service to your customers.

Exactly. No one can blame you for doing what works for you.

Austin25
May 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I left Ubuntu also, but for Arch. I'm still sticking with Ubuntuforums becuase the Arch formus are a bit unsocial, but I'm going there for my questions.

slooksterpsv
May 6th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Don't be a stranger to the forums though. Thanks for the contributions and help you've given to others. You're an inspiration to the meaning of Ubuntu.

Good luck with your business =D!

Thewhistlingwind
May 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Good luck with your business. Thank you for your contributions to the community. Hope to see you back some day.

Johnsie
May 9th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Good luck. You have a good use-case scenario for why Linux is not always the best desktop solution. Hopefully that will change in the short-term future, but in the meantime, good luck with your business :-)

MasterNetra
May 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Good luck. You have a good use-case scenario for why Linux is not always the best desktop solution. Hopefully that will change in the short-term future, but in the meantime, good luck with your business :-)

Maybe maybe not, with adobe's announcement that they are not going to do a linux version at this time, I dunno. GIMP's nice but its still not up to par with Photoshop as of yet. And I do use dreamweaver, not the wysiwyg part, but a number of its features, I build the sites in code view. But do make use of its CSS creator and preview. And of course there is no equal to Flash CS as of yet. Sure there is Animation software but nothing really all that good for interactive stuff. Adobe just the best their is, which why they can charge the prices they do. :/

iheartubuntu
May 11th, 2011, 05:47 AM
MasterNetra - Im surprised you didnt install Win7 in VirtualBox and then install whatever apps like PS or DW there to use when you need. Thats how Ive been running things for years now and I too know PS and DW the most. I admit I have been forcing myself into GIMP and Inkscape a lot more lately and liking Inkscape a bunch. With new computers you can get a quadcore awesome computer for $500 or so now... just got one for my dad to replace his aging single core P4. His Ubuntu flies... not like he needs it for email and web browsing! But for $500 you could easily run 64 bit Ubuntu with VB and your needed apps there.

MasterNetra
May 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM
MasterNetra - Im surprised you didnt install Win7 in VirtualBox and then install whatever apps like PS or DW there to use when you need. Thats how Ive been running things for years now and I too know PS and DW the most. I admit I have been forcing myself into GIMP and Inkscape a lot more lately and liking Inkscape a bunch. With new computers you can get a quadcore awesome computer for $500 or so now... just got one for my dad to replace his aging single core P4. His Ubuntu flies... not like he needs it for email and web browsing! But for $500 you could easily run 64 bit Ubuntu with VB and your needed apps there.

My current machine only has 1GB of Ram, a 256mb intel graphics card and a intel dual-core 2 processor(s) it is not practical to VM Win7. You made a awful large assumption as to what hardware I am running. And I don't have the money for new hardware, unless you want to send me the money for a new machine. :P

slooksterpsv
May 12th, 2011, 11:42 PM
My current machine only has 1GB of Ram, a 256mb intel graphics card and a intel dual-core 2 processor(s) it is not practical to VM Win7. You made a awful large assumption as to what hardware I am running. And I don't have the money for new hardware, unless you want to send me the money for a new machine. :P

Win 7 on 1GB of RAM will be kind of slow, especially if you're using the 64-bit version. If I had an extra RAM stick I'd send it to ya.

iheartubuntu
May 13th, 2011, 06:45 AM

I bet you could run VB without a prob if you just upped the ram. would be a lot cheaper than a new system. My best system is a dual core and I run VB with XP in it. I maxxed the RAM out to 4GB (its 64 bit). My system at work is the same, although only 32 bit and it handles XP in virtualbox no prob. Whats ram these days, $15 a chip on older computers?

Obviously its what you'll be doing within virtualbox that matters. Photoshop works great and Ive found that running XP virtually is actually faster than running XP natively. Here is one example:

i need XP to use an expensive canon scanner that does 35mm slides. natively it takes 21 minutes to scan 4 slides. I forget the resolution. 3200dpi or something. Using XP in virtualbox it take 14 minutes. Now, you need enough RAM to be comfortable, but even 2GB ram should have you up and running on VB. If you are doing intensive work like rendering or after effects... this isnt the way to go.

MasterNetra
May 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I bet you could run VB without a prob if you just upped the ram. would be a lot cheaper than a new system. My best system is a dual core and I run VB with XP in it. I maxxed the RAM out to 4GB (its 64 bit). My system at work is the same, although only 32 bit and it handles XP in virtualbox no prob. Whats ram these days, $15 a chip on older computers?

Obviously its what you'll be doing within virtualbox that matters. Photoshop works great and Ive found that running XP virtually is actually faster than running XP natively. Here is one example:

i need XP to use an expensive canon scanner that does 35mm slides. natively it takes 21 minutes to scan 4 slides. I forget the resolution. 3200dpi or something. Using XP in virtualbox it take 14 minutes. Now, you need enough RAM to be comfortable, but even 2GB ram should have you up and running on VB. If you are doing intensive work like rendering or after effects... this isnt the way to go.

Win 7 on 1GB of RAM will be kind of slow, especially if you're using the 64-bit version. If I had an extra RAM stick I'd send it to ya.

I'm using a laptop, I don't think I can add another Stick of ram to my Dell Latitude D530.

BrokenKingpin
May 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Use whatever works for you.

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I've been using Win7 since its betas. I still hang around the Cafe here for good conversation and because I'm still interested in how things are going. No need to not post here just because you're not using Ubuntu.