PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing about this Laptop?

kevin11951
May 5th, 2011, 01:28 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-215-037

$619.99

After looking at the specs... What am I missing!?

edit: Here are the actual specs:

CPU Type
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N970 2.2GHz

CPU Speed
N970(2.2GHz)

CPU L2 Cache
2MB

Memory Size
4GB DDR3

Hard Disk
500GB

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 6650M

Video Memory
1GB DDR3 VRAM

Communication
Gigabit LAN and WLAN

WLAN
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN

Welly Wu
May 5th, 2011, 02:11 AM
It looks like a good Microsoft Windows 7 laptop. Have you done a search on Google to see if it is compatible with your choice of GNU/Linux distribution?

forrestcupp
May 5th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Nice. I can't believe it only has a mono speaker, though.

Lucradia
May 5th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I've had less than good experiences with acer, in truth. For computers at least. Monitors I don't mind.

Just a note: Acer, eMachines and Gateway are the same company.

forrestcupp
May 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've had less than good experiences with acer, in truth. For computers at least. Monitors I don't mind.

I don't know if that's the norm. I've had great experiences with Acers and eMachines. Some of my best computers were Acers and eMachines. The laptop I am using now, which was lower high-end a couple of years ago, is an Acer, and it's a great computer.

And I always thought eMachines desktops were very upgradeable compared to other big brand computers.

Johnsie
May 5th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Nice. I can't believe it only has a mono speaker, though.

+1
Always try speakers before purchasing a laptop. I bought a laptop once that had really nice specs. It ran beautifully, but you could hardly even hear the speakers. Some laptops come with awful speakers and some with good ones. There is really a big difference between some of them.

Might as well name drop... My advent laptop had good speakers, my asus eeepc's and my hp laptop have all had ok speakers. The one that was by far the worst was an MSI machine.

Oxwivi
May 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Dunno about Acer, but my eMachines E727 came with a GNU/Linux distro (can't remember which) and everything worked on Ubuntu out-of-the-box with the exception of Broadcom wireless chipset (needed proprietary drivers).

el_koraco
May 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Nothing, Acer makes kickaa** laptops. if you wanna use it with Linux, the ATI card might give you some headaches, though.

el_koraco
Dunno about Acer, but my eMachines E727 came with a GNU/Linux distro (can't remember which)

Linpus Linux.

Grenage
Most models from most manufacturers are complete luck of the draw. Someone will have 4 Acer machines in a row that work perfectly, and another will get two that have issues (be it hardware or software). Either way, a lot of people take this tiny subset of data, and extrapolate to encompass the world.

It's a Radeon card, so something to bear in mind if you're going to be using Linux; not that Nvidia Optimus is a great alternative at the moment.

forrestcupp
May 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
+1
Might as well name drop... My advent laptop had good speakers, my asus eeepc's and my hp laptop have all had ok speakers. The one that was by far the worst was an MSI machine.

I can say that not all Acers have crap mono speakers like this one. My Acer laptop has awesome Dolby Home Theater Virtual Surround Sound speakers with a subwoofer. Playing music on it sounds almost as good as my nice Altec Lansing desktop set with a large subwoofer.

Lucradia
May 5th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Why do people want external speakers anyway? What about headphones?