PDA

View Full Version : Fake AV software for Macs....

speedwell68
May 4th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Looks like Macs have this problem now as well...

http://signalnews.com/fake-antivirius-software-505

But what I found really annoying about that article is the way it assumes that all PC users are using Windows. That really annoys me.

user1397
May 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Looks like Macs have this problem now as well...

http://signalnews.com/fake-antivirius-software-505

But what I found really annoying about that article is the way it assumes that all PC users are using Windows. That really annoys me.
i think one like this should be made for linux, benign of course, and put it out there in several websites to see if people post about it on the forums and other places...could be a cool social experiment to gauge linux users' stupidity.

el_koraco
May 4th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Ain't the first time. Scare trojans. There was a highly publicized one a couple of years back. What bugs me is that the Mac/PC thing is still active.

speedwell68
May 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM
i think one like this should be made for linux, benign of course, and put it out there in several websites to see if people post about it on the forums and other places...could be a cool social experiment to gauge linux users' stupidity.

A basic intelligence test, I like it. My uncle is an Ubuntu user and he still falls for the Windows ones. He is nearly 80. He will phone me on a near weekly basis, saying this website has performed a scan and he has a virus.

3Miro
May 4th, 2011, 10:46 PM
What bugs me is that the Mac/PC thing is still active.

Mac/Windows! Mac/Windows! Linux/Mac/Windows!

Mac vs PC is like Ford Focus vs Automobile.

el_koraco
May 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
The funny thing is, I haven't really heard the Mac vs PC argument outside of the American press in a gazillion years. I guess the advertising campaign wasn't so strong in Europe?

Random_Dude
May 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I've came across some pop ups telling me that my Windows had a virus, while I was surfing on Linux.
It made me chuckle. :D

Cheers :cool:

3Miro
May 4th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I've came across some pop ups telling me that my Windows had a virus, while I was surfing on Linux.

Yes, I remember getting this once too. It was funny, I think I clicked "yes" just to see what it would do, but the script crashed (surprisingly :lolflag:)

speedwell68
May 5th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Yes, I remember getting this once too. It was funny, I think I clicked "yes" just to see what it would do, but the script crashed (surprisingly :lolflag:)

I never get them, ever. Which really disappoints me.:D

KingYaba
May 5th, 2011, 12:41 AM
He will phone me on a near weekly basis, saying this website has performed a scan and he has a virus.

You should install Adblock for him.