PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unity program menu

JakeFrederix
May 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Is it possible to put the menu and main interface of a program back together again?
I don't like this splitup that Unity does.

first experience with Unity:
I open pidgin instant messenger
I search in vain for a menu, looking where I can enable my accounts.
Thinking "It just isn't there. It used to be right here, a menu atop the program"
* few moments later *
Oh it's on top of the screen now.

To me, that is not convenient.
It's like entering a copy-shop, putting your papers in the machine, and then being told the machine controls are in the building further down the street.

So, is it possible to change/customize this option?

Kind regards,
Jake

Frogs Hair
May 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Select Classic Gnome at login below the greeter box on the panel and the familiar desktop will appear.

werewolves
May 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Do you mean the usual "File | Edit" menu that used to be at the top of the window, but is now on the top bar?

I don't think there is a way to customize that.

My advice is to try it for a while. I thought I was going to hate it, but then I realized I can just sort of "toss" my mouse toward the top of the screen whenever I need the program menu. I don't have to be precise, and it is alway in the same spot. Once I got used to it, I felt it was much more efficient. Just my two cents.

JakeFrederix
May 5th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Select Classic Gnome at login below the greeter box on the panel and the familiar desktop will appear.

Not exactly what I had in mind. From what I understand Gnome is doomed to die soon. I would prefer to change Unity to my taste than to use something that I only enjoy for a limited time.

Also, on closer inspection of my login-screen it turns out I don't have that option.
I can see the time, the universal access button, and the shutdown button. The bar in bottom of the login screen does not contain other stuff for me.

mc4man
May 5th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Well you could disable the global menu (several threads on) or disable it only on apps where not wanted.

To do that you need to open the app's desktop in a text editor and amend the Exec= line

For gtk apps - adding the blue as shown. ( orig line was

Exec=pidgin

Ex. - pidgin

gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Pidgin Internet Messenger
GenericName=Internet Messenger
Comment=Chat over IM. Supports AIM, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN, Yahoo and more
Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 pidgin
Icon=pidgin
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;InstantMessaging;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=pidgin

Also if wishing a systray icon for pidgin then adding to the systray-whitelist will do (also enabling in pidgin's preferences

2 ways there - either manually adding in dconf-editor (install dconf-tools) or using gsetting - not hard to do once you get the idea