PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI disappeared, pwd works/doesn't work

HalvorOslo
May 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I'll describe the symptoms.

1. I was not in an upgrade situation when the issue manifested. I was simply restarting the pc for some ordinary reason.

2. When I came to the graphical logon screen, it was changed. Instead of the "soft" purplish look it now had a "hard" (like Windows 3.1) look, a black background, a grey box with a blue pc icon at the top, and the default user box had an "air force blue" background.

3. What happens when I enter the usual password is that either the logon screen comes back, or I hear the three rapid tamtam drum sounds and I'm in the black.

I googled "ubuntu terminal reinstall" and I have tried a few commands that didn't help me any (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, sudo apt-get install -f, sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a)

Now, either can someone tell me how I fix this, btw. I'm on a communal pc that is really BAD, but noone in charge bothers to fix it. (That's why I installed ubuntu on it in the first place - it had only Windows XP Pro.) Or could my initial request solve the problem, i.e. would the appropriate command to do a reinstall perhaps solve the problem? If so, what is that command?

I could also mention that not too long after the most recent upgrade of build ubuntu started to drop out of its gui displaying a series of messages that didn't make any sense to me (one about PulseAudio, I don't remember the others). For the many weeks that this has been occurring (several times a day) I have simply dealt with it by hitting ctrl-alt-del repeatedly until it reboots.

Stats:
Ubuntu 10.04.1 and build 2.6.32-31

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1992MHz

Video Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Monitor: Dell E772p

HalvorOslo
May 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Why is this problem not getting any help? Surely, it is a critical one that should warrant urgent attention? surely, it has been decribed in a manner such that suggestions by well-versed ubuntu users should not be hard to come by?

HalvorOslo
May 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
bump
bumped again
bump x3
bump x4 (also, I have crossposted this to https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+question/156112 )