PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Gnome 2 style desktop interface be dead?

Seregwethrin
May 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Since Unity and Gnome 3, the desktop interfaces are really changed. I really like the Gnome 2 (classic) interface. I can see every tray icon, every window that opened or minimized at panels, I have my menus, I don't need some mouse tricks to see something. Unity and Gnome 3 are fancy but I don't look for fancy.

Gnome 3 is the next generation. I don't like it. I don't like Unity either. And the problem is Gnome 2 will not be evolved much with its own standard interface because Gnome 3 is arrived. Gnome 2 is getting closer to its end of life. Bugs will not be handled with more attention, compatibilities will be less.

So than, I don't like this situation of Gnome 2 either.

Am I right with those concerns? Or is there a point that I'm missing?

Thanks.

bro
May 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
You're not missing a point in Gnome, Gnome2 will be dead. I pity it too, though I have no experience with Gnome3 yet. I dislike the global menu in Unity.

Alternatives? Of course, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, ..buntu..

23dornot23d
May 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Gnome3 / Gnome Shell ...... run quite nicely with LXDE .....

Unity too runs with LXDE (lubuntu) because it is a minimal environment its fast and has panels too ....

Take a look at what Kanotix / knoppix has done ...... and from a very early stage in linux development they led the way with booting CDs with all options for the majority of devices ... then later on with booting USB's with all options ..... even now it puts a smile on my face when I load up the latest version of knoppix ....... but I doubt I could stick with it .....

But Ubuntu is the one ........ just needs some backbone to stick with the changes as they make
hard choices ...... but hey will never go stagnant ..... if people want to stay on the safe side
to me its all down to choice ..... do I press that upgrade button .... or wait to see what others reactions are after doing it.

I believe that the future system for new users with the touch screen computers and notebooks will maybe prefer UNITY .....

So I was quite happy to see that Gnome-Shell is making sure that this too can be used with
Gnome-Shell .......

I too am not keen on global menus ..... due to my system - but other users that like it should
still have the option to use it ......
( but I believe this should be a switch ... and not default to it - as it can be quite annoying on big screens ..... who wants to travel to the top of a 32 inch or bigger monitor to select something
just does not make any sense ...... but on a 8 inch screen its no problem ..... horses for courses )

Choice is good ..... try in all instances - to never exclude future possibilities that please more people and keep linux users coming back for more . :confused:

Seregwethrin
May 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
You're not missing a point in Gnome, Gnome2 will be dead. I pity it too, though I have no experience with Gnome3 yet. I dislike the global menu in Unity.

Alternatives? Of course, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, ..buntu..

I like KDE. I like it's a classical desktop interface with widgets and also I really really like Qt. But it just didn't run chromium successfully. Some pages didn't respond, for example gmail tab stuck and killed itself often. I'll reinstall the OS when I've time with hoping that it runs without any problems and if not I'll try Kubuntu or openSuse. (By the way I get that problem with Linux Mint)

I think the distro is really important with KDE, otherwise there'll be bugs like that.

Also I discourage hiding things at desktop interfaces like done at Unity or Gnome 3. I like to see everything even a window is maximized. I also feel sad I can't see the desktop when a window is maximized, so I use two monitors.

23dornot23d
May 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Also I discourage hiding things at desktop interfaces like done at Unity or Gnome 3
There is a choice with Gnome-Shell/Gnome3 .... LINK (http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8513/screenshot10ur.png)

and you can even have panels if you load LXDE ..... then do

sudo apt-get install lxde

go into lxde from the menu choices ....... then .....

alt+f2

gnome-shell --replace

also with UNITY too .....

alt+f2

compiz --replace

Always choices ......

Check my GNOME-SHELL link below ...... scroll down the page and we have many choices .....

Seregwethrin
May 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
There is a choice with Gnome-Shell/Gnome3 .... LINK (http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8513/screenshot10ur.png)

and you can even have panels if you load LXDE ..... then do

Loading LXDE to have panels? Than for example I can install Windows or buy a Mac to get my classical interface, that would be a solution too.

The solution should be Gnome 3 itself should have panels, showing all windows and tray icons.

So I'm installing KDE. I'm not solving the problem, but instead moving around from it.

sartic
May 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I stick width LTS (classic gnome) for mass installation. Using Maverick for laptops (compiz and unity is not melted as in natty, I hate compiz). Maybe it is time to change wagon. Kubuntu or Lubuntu. Lubuntu has more speed and cleaner desktop but has less options default than K.

DIFTOW
May 5th, 2011, 06:53 AM
The classic desktop system is classic not because it is dead, but because it has stood the test of time. And the complaints on these threads is a testament to its appeal and superiority.

Gnome might not be continuing the classic setup, but that is their funeral.

If Ubuntu wants to go down that road just for the sake of being different, it may catch attention for awhile but.. in the end I think it will end up being a bad move.

ivanovnegro
May 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I like KDE. I like it's a classical desktop interface with widgets and also I really really like Qt. But it just didn't run chromium successfully. Some pages didn't respond, for example gmail tab stuck and killed itself often. I'll reinstall the OS when I've time with hoping that it runs without any problems and if not I'll try Kubuntu or openSuse. (By the way I get that problem with Linux Mint)

I think the distro is really important with KDE, otherwise there'll be bugs like that.

Also I discourage hiding things at desktop interfaces like done at Unity or Gnome 3. I like to see everything even a window is maximized. I also feel sad I can't see the desktop when a window is maximized, so I use two monitors.

I encourage you to try the KDE desktop of Kubuntu, its really nice, maybe you should also install Kubuntu from scratch, you wont have a cluttered system this way as installing kubuntu-desktop, but thats also possible to try the interface.
Its more traditional but also very modern and you have Ubuntu under the hood.
You can customize whatever you want, you will have all your apps in the bottom panel, or you can make two panels, that means you can also make Kubuntu just look like Gnome Classic.

akand074
May 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Gnome 2 will die soon. Gnome has dropped support for it. I'm not upset, although I've been used to it, and it's been around for so long that it became fully developed per say. Gnome 3 and Unity are both far superior to gnome 2, they are brand new, they need some tinkering, but they are both definitely better, especially with things like extensions among other things to come in the future. I hear a lot of complaints now because it's "different" but I think within a year or so most people will likely come back to these two. Taking away obvious flaws, both Gnome 3 and Unity have supported features natively that I used to install third-party software with gnome 2 to get the functionality. I'm looking forward to where these go.

23dornot23d
May 7th, 2011, 04:29 AM
sudo apt-get install xfce4-panel

(xfce4-panel runs on it with minimal dependencies)

Alt+F2 ...... xfce4-panel

Adds easily to Gnome3 / Gnome-Shell or UNITY ...... ( just needs someone to code it into the startup )

Larger Screenshot (http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5508/screenshot17b.png) - With Gnome -Shell

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6338/screenshot17k.png

Larger Screenshot (http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8527/screenshot18o.png) - with UNITY

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9633/kde3.jpg