PDA

View Full Version : heres some advice if youre thinking about upgrading to 11.04

tetsu7
May 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM
why was 11.04 released when it obviously is not ready. i cant even use the shift key to make a question mark because shift key keeps not working then it works after a reset then it doesnt work... not only does compiz not work but i have to reset my computer for 30 minutes befor i can get it to boot. my wifes computer after a restart becuase she couldnt move windows anymore so i turned off unity and when the computer reboots all the panels are gone and theres no way to do anything now. i have fixed so many problems the last few days just to have more stuff malfunction it is ridiculous. 11.04 is like an old car once one thing breaks it all starts falling apart and you can never quite get ahead of it. im tired of this crap. im tired of googling problems. im tired of posting in this board and nobody knows what to do. im tired of reading of all the 11.04 problems and no one seems to know why everythings screwed up or how to fix it. im tired of 11.04. everyone i know that has upgraded had problems and went back to 10.10, which is a whole intermediate linux class.if you havnt updgraded to 11.04 do yourself a favor and dont. wait awhile for someone to fix this mess first. i gave 11.04 a shot, i tried my best to make it work. im done. im going back to a stable 10.10 that works.

Bucky Ball
May 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Try the even more stable 10.04 LTS. It is the current Long Term Support release and supported until 2013 (2015 for the server version). Anything that is not a long term support release is a rolling release and they are what you might call a little more experimental.

If you're after total stability, stick to the LTS releases and put the newest rolling release on a second partition to play with and learn from. At least then you'll always have a stable release to fall back on. What I can't get is why Canonical offer server versions of rolling releases. That seems counter-productive and not conducive to promoting Ubuntu appeal. I wouldn't dream of using anything but an LTS for a server.

The latest is not always the greatest in Linux world as in any other. ;)

user1397
May 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Try the even more stable 10.04 LTS. It is the current Long Term Support release and supported until 2013 (2015 for the server version). Anything that is not a long term support release is a rolling release and they are what you might call a little more experimental.

If you're after total stability, stick to the LTS releases and put the newest rolling release on a second partition to play with and learn from. At least then you'll always have a stable release to fall back on. What I can't get is why Canonical offer server versions of rolling releases. That seems counter-productive and not conducive to promoting Ubuntu appeal. I wouldn't dream of using anything but an LTS for a server.

The latest is not always the greatest in Linux world as in any other. ;)for clarification, there are no true rolling releases when it comes to ubuntu, although the development releases come pretty close.

jmore9
May 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The Majority of problems with Ubuntu 11.04 deal with the Unity interface. From experience when i tried the upgrade it just isn't ready yet. It should have been left in beta for awhile more. More testers and a larger inexperienced user group used for the last test.

They should have also compiled a list of graphic cards that work with Unity, a list of maybe graphic cards, and those like mine which will never work ( Geforce4 - MX4000 ) , if they had done that they would have been much less drama with this new fork of Ubuntu in my opinion, for whats its worth.

And with the new Unity interface this is a major change and it should have had more testing and warnings.

Rasa1111
May 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I was also against Natty for awhile.. lol

But it's working great here.
Seems pretty 'ready' to me..
Been using it 4-5 days now and Im amazed at how well it works!

All issues I initially had with natty have vanished.

tetsu7
May 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
havnt heard of rolling releases and lts releases ill have to look that up. im new to linux this semester i took an 8 week beginners linux class and we use 9.04 and now im at the end of an 8 week intermediate linux class and were using 10.10. i like 10.10 and had zero problems with it everything worked flawlessly. a few weeks ago i dual booted my wifes and my computer with win7 and 10.10 and so far havnt used win7 at all and hopefully i will never need to as ubuntu is so much better. i replaced microsoft server 08 with ubuntu server, on my server rig and it works great. 11.04 gives me problems left and right. im the last person in my class to revert back to 10.10. i tried unity 2d, classic ubuntu, mythbuntu, kde plasma and a few others but nothing worked right after the upgrade. if anyone wants to know my hardware im running that 11.04 doesnt work on ill post it.

asrock 890fx deluxe 3
amd phenom 2 x4 955 black edition
nvidia 9600 gt
corsair vengeance ddr3 8GB
cooler master 700w silent pro 80 plus

gigabyte ma785gm-us2h
amd phenom 2 x3
corsair xms2 ddr2 8GB
asus engtx460 top
coolmax 750w 80 plus