PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded and then downgraded

TobsterUK
May 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and i suppose you could say that i am relatively new to Ubuntu. I have used various linux distro's before and settled on Ubuntu 10.10 a few months ago. I gotta say that it is the first linux ditro that i have used and managed to get everything working that i need to with a minimum of fuss and well as it working on my Dell D420 perfectly.

I turned the machine on yesterday and it offered me the upgrade to 11.04. I had been watching the development of this and it looked good so i upgraded. The upgrade, i have to say was flawless, no errors at all. It did remove some stuff and change some stuff but it was all good. it only took 2 1/2 hours too.... brill......

I started to use 11.04 and at first noted that it was a lot slower than that of 10.10, i looked past that and thought lets give it a go.
I must say that i did not like the new bar along the left hand side of the screen, although i guess i could get used to it, but i am really fussy on my desktop, i have to have it clear, i hate anything on it....strange i know, but thats how i like it.
I liked the new menu on the taskbar which changed for the different windows that were open and active, but then all of a sudden i lost the task bar and could only see the desktop wallpaper. Everything was running as certain shortcuts would open windows but i could not move them at all.

I was able to log in using classic but could not rectify the fault so i reluctantly had to reinstall back to 10.10. I must say that i am happy again with 10.10 and have no plans to upgrade again, certainly for a good few months.

I have to ask though, as a relatively new comer to linux, the hardest thing for people is for them to decide on a distro to use as there are way too many to choose from, why have ubuntu had to go ahead and change it all? making even more of a choice...
I know that times move on, but i have come from the conditioned microsoft background and i love, i really love ubuntu gnome. So much better!! than MS stuff ooh, and its free which is another bonus. If only ubuntu had just tweaked 10.10 rather than from what i can see, changed so much then i am sure it would be a lot better.

I know i have probably rambled on but i thought i would put an opinion forward.
I do love 10.10, so i will keep it for now.

Are there any plans for 11.04 to be used in classic mode (like 10.10) full time without having to select it?

Regards

TobsterUK

PCNetSpec
May 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
You can easily set "Classic" as the default desktop:

http://scottlinux.com/2011/03/05/ubuntu-11-04-change-from-unity-to-classic-gnome/

TobsterUK
May 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM
thanks for the info.