PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade a dream - But Unity a dog

Jonners59
May 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Guys
Brilliant. The smoothest upgrade ever. Done 3 machines and another 4 to go and ALL were a dream. Average upgrade time start to stop 6 to 7 hours and NO glitches. Seems a world apart from 8.04 when I started!:popcorn::D

Now the bad news.

I hate Unity. I can not see any value in it and it is making my life hell. I loose a chunk of screen and can't see the end of the window, which means docs, and web pages etc. There are no settings/properties and no facility to turn it off... Or are there???? And that silly scroll bar, it's so small and invisible... The oldfashioned one, just like on this site worked very well. If it ain't broke don't fix it.:confused:

Lastly, I do not like it when in these upgrades I loose applications. This time Prism. I liked my Facebook and Google-Calendar apps. Can I get them back????:confused:

So an upgrade with mixed, but largely +ve blessings. But please can anyone help with these issues.

sammymoshe
May 4th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I've never felt compelled to contribute anything to this forum. Usually, it's just the place I go to, in order to find a problem someone else has fixed.

Today though, I upgraded to the new Ubuntu, and I really hate it.
So I thought I would actually do the unthinkable and sign up for an account.

Unity feels like Android.
And while Android is great for mobile phones, it makes zero sense on a PC.

It has some new features, like the workspace switcher, which are useful, and make sense. But the truth is, if I wanted something like this, that isn't useful to me, I would be buying Mac OSX.

On a high note: Upgrading did fix the graphical glitches the last big Ubuntu 10 update caused.

lenkite
May 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I love Ubuntu 11.04 - my driver problems with my T510 have been sorted out though my Dad is having trouble with his Dell laptop.

I like some features - the Alt+F2 launcher is really nice and I don't mind that the decisions that they took to maximize the vertical screen estate. I also like how Alt-Tab is implemented compared to 10.10.

But O-M-G the launcher is so terrible! Those big, fat icons and that forced delay before it (unpredictably) comes up really cranks up the irritation meter! :mad: It looks like a dirty, hurried up job, one can't even right click and adjust the size or change its screen position or even just flat out disable it! I am right now googling suggestions on what to do about it.

Jonners59
May 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys, but we are loosing the plot.

I agree, I currently see no point in Unity and no way of making it what I want, and I hate, as does the wife (and she's a real threat!!!) loosing a great chunk of screen. However, I have found a way of by passing and that is to open in "Ubuntu Classic" Not a nice clean approach but it works. 11.04 is otherwise almost the same as 10.10....

The point now, for me is I want to get hold of Prism or a like to run Facebook and Google Calendar as apps..... Any ideas???