PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Upgrade to natty

el-tarado
May 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hi all.

When I try to upgrade from 10.04 to 11.04 I always get this error:

E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

If I run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, I get:

~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... Listo
0 actualizados, 0 se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.

Apparently there's nothing wrong in apt.log, but i cannot upgrade and i don't know how to fix it. Any clue?

lechien73
May 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hello & welcome to the forums :)

The best advice I can give you is to back up your data and perform a clean install. Having said that, if you did want to try an upgrade, then the second-best piece of advice would try use aptitude for your upgrade:

Install it by:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptitude

Manually add the new sources:

sudo sed -i 's/maverick/natty/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

Then try perform the upgrade:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

el-tarado
May 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't like to carry out a clean install... it's kind of annoying to configure everything again. So i'll try to upgrade rather than reinstall . i'll keep you posted.

MickAgain
December 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hi!
I'm having the same problem. I followed lechien's suggestions but I still get the same error. It makes it to "Setting new software channels" When it is calculating the changes, I get this error:

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

This can be caused by:
* Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report.

I would really like to get this thing upgraded to the latest release.

MickAgain
December 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I went into Synaptic and removed every lib with the name "nvidia" and now mine is upgrading... or at least has moved on to the next phase.

fdrake
December 24th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hi all.

When I try to upgrade from 10.04 to 11.04 I always get this error:

If I run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, I get:

~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... Listo
0 actualizados, 0 se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.

Apparently there's nothing wrong in apt.log, but i cannot upgrade and i don't know how to fix it. Any clue?

from "man apt-get" (same as for aptitude!)

dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing
dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the
general settings for individual packages.

man for "do-release-upgrade"

Upgrade the operating system to the latest release from the command-line. This is the preferred command if the
machine has no graphic environment or if the machine is to be upgraded over a remote connection.

if you are looking for a gui do "sudo update-manager --dist-upgrade"