PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Bash Command Prompt customization

Joe_McM
May 4th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hello All,

First off, I am very new to Kubuntu, and Linux in general!!!

Second, I have been playing with this for a few months now (was playing with Kubuntu 10-10, but it did NOT like my ATI video card at all so I dropped Kubuntu like a hot spud, glad that 11-04 now likes my card, what ever you folks did, THANK YOU!!!). I first learned to play with MS DOS years ago (can we say DOS 6.0) and back then I used to have a customized prompt. Since I will be (and have been) doing allot of work @ the DOS (er sorry Bash) prompt, I was looking up how to do it. I looked @ the MAN page, and some of the sequences seemed familiar, and after looking at the bash prompt customization web page (feeling hopelessly lost and wishing I had taken some programing courses in college) I went into .bashrc to see where I would make entries and got hopelessly lost.

OK, here's the question, Can somebody PLEASE tell me (in simple terms that I don't need to take those programing courses) how do I customize a bash prompt? What is the syntax, what line do I place it in? How do I even read the bloody thing (.bashrc)??? :confused:

My buddy from College who was as familiar with all things Unix Linux & BSD is not around any more (for just over a year now) and every time I try to play @ a command prompt I feel myself reaching for the phone, then I remember he isn't there and I feel VERY lost indeed!!

Can some one PLEASE help?

Thanks Very Much in advance

Joe_McM