PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disable "Starting (application name)" on gnome panel?

_T_
May 4th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I would like to disable the notification in the gnome panel that adds a new button stating "Starting insertappnamehere" to the gnome panel everytime I launch a program. Quite often this notification is still hanging around well after my program has fully launched, not to mention the "taskbar shuffle dance" this causes.

I'm not referring to notify-osd, I've already disabled that annoyance...

In synaptic I see the libstartup-notification0 package, but if I mark it for uninstallation synaptic informs me it will also remove various things such as nautilus, metacity, firefox and compiz and about 40 more, and install about 60 additional packages . Seriously??? Just to not be told that I clicked an icon?

PLEASE tell me I'm missing something here...

Ubuntu 10.10
Gnome 2.32.0
Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

_T_
May 6th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Bump please.

_T_
May 8th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Bump please.

Copper Bezel
May 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I have that package installed, and I certainly don't get notifications for every application I launch. I've really never seen what you're describing here - since you brought up the comparison, is it similar to a notify-osd message?

_T_
May 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
is it similar to a notify-osd message?
No sir, not at all. This is a button that appears in the taskbar for maybe 3 -5 seconds everytime I launch an app from the desktop icons, or from the menu. In this screenshot you can see 4 buttons, 2 on each monitor from opening gnome-terminal twice from the desktop icon.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4185/screenshotdnw.png

mc4man
May 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
This is caused by a line in Some app .desktops, to stop the behavior you'll need to edit
The line is
StartupNotify=true
You'll need to edit to
StartupNotify=false

Edit: I might as well give you a clear example -

gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Terminal
Comment=Use the command line
TryExec=gnome-terminal
Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 gnome-terminal
Icon=utilities-terminal
Type=Application
X-GNOME-DocPath=gnome-terminal/index.html
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=gnome-terminal
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=BugBuddyBugs
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.32.1
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TerminalEmulator;
StartupNotify=true
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-terminal

_T_
May 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I did find informtion about editing that line, but my 10.10 install has something like 2400 .desktop files total. I was expecting to find some universal setting (perhaps in gconf-editor though I've looked) to disable this for all currently installed, and any future applications I may install. Just between the applications menu and my desktop I would have to edit 77 individual files, and this doesn't include things like my image viewer, or other handler type applications that don't get launched with a shortcut, but rather by simply clicking the file to be opened, but still exhibit this behavior.

Thanks for replying though guys, I was getting a little worried no one really cared to help with such a noobish question... I have been working with gambas2 (a basic-like ide) for a while now, so if it becomes necessary that the only way to do this is by editing each file one at the time, I can probably put something together to handle this.