PDA

View Full Version : Application search in Natty suggesting programs

johnnyredshirt
May 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Why is Ubuntu pushing applications... um 'suggesting applications that you might like' in the application search utility in 11.04? The ones it suggested for me didn't seem much like anything else on my system. Couldn't fathom why I would need or want any of them, and what's the point of 'advertising'?

Just kinda made me feel a tiny bit weird for some reason. Am I alone in this?

Exodist
May 4th, 2011, 05:30 AM
It seems like a great idea for new users to get them familiar with linux software per se. But I would like to see an option for users to turn it off. It does pose the risk of hogging network resources if used on a corporate scale. Also if used on a corp scale, then most all users cant install programs.. so.. Its a waste..

Peter09
May 4th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have noticed a couple of applications in that menu that interested me - not sure why its a problem, its easy to ignore that bottom line.

p.s. - do agree at Corporate level.

johnnyredshirt
May 8th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I just figured out why. It IS advertising. On the om!gubuntu introduction to unity it says that one of the functions of the dash application lens is to show applications that are available for download or Purchase. Canonical is a company in business to make money and now they are begining to monitize ubuntu. I don't have any doubt that this is only the beginning of that process. I know that they are adding value and that ain't free (as in free beer). They deserve to get paid for their labor but as with Google, Apple, MS, Oracle, et al the lure of big money usually ends up with the company doing more for their bottom line than they do for their consumers.

Johnsie
May 8th, 2011, 04:07 AM
+1 for an option to turn it off. I'm going to submit this as a formal feature request for Ocelot. Johnny, your post reads alot like fud.

johnnyredshirt
May 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM
My apologies for the tone. I do thank Mr. Shuttleworth for making ubuntu. It has surely made the introduction to linux relatively easy for alot of people. Canonical deserves much praise. I'm just a bit of a kneejerk leftie. I tend to see corporate conspiracies everywhere and I absolutely hate the encroachment of advertising into every possible space in life and now onto my non-ms, non-apple, non-google desktop.

3rdalbum
May 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I've seen only free software advertised in the Applications lense.

akand074
May 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
That actually makes sense though to advertise paid apps in the future. This will benefit Canonical and the developers and thus it would contribute to attracting developers to develop for Ubuntu/Linux. Not a bad idea I suppose. For now though, or if that isn't their goal, then they should have that option to remove it. I've always neglected it. Not really a big deal for me.

leviathan8
May 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I have absolutely no problem with this. Things change in this world, and that's the way it is, and we must keep an open mind to changes. I actually hope that in the future, with a little advertising, Ubuntu will become more popular.

grahammechanical
May 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Mark Shuttleworth is clear about this in his blog. Here is the link:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/611

Regards.