PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update crash

Firezap
May 4th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Hiya all...I tried to update my main computer from Ubuntu 10.0 to 11.04. I wish I could remember what it said, but it crashed during the update. The lights on the keyboard were flashing on and off as well. When I try to boot, all I get is a black screen and flashing lights...Anyone have any ideas? The Ubuntu recover also has the same thing. I am going to try a fresh install and see if that helps. For some reason I am leaning to the power manager, but I am no where near sure.:confused:

tommcd
May 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Cut your losses and learn from this experience.
I always do clean installs of Ubuntu and I never have problems. I have used every version of Ubuntu going back to the inaugural 4.10 on many different computers. I have never had a problem with clean installs.
Doing dist-upgrades of Ubuntu are often problematic. This is especially true since so many Ubuntu users are using unsupported third party repositories on their systems. This includes those all too often problematic PPA repos that so many people use.

Firezap
May 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I guess your right. Thanks anyway. The problem is I do not have very fast internet so when I do a fresh install it can take me days to get all of my software back lol. I will probable use the boot disk to snoop around in my drive and get my file back though. I am always doing something with gimp and I do not want to lose my work lol.