PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New to Ubuntu - can't access internet using Firefox when wireless

tjfrance
May 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I just loaded Ubuntu 11.04 onto Acer Aspire 5100 computer. I can access the internet through Firefox when I connect ethernet lan cable but it doesn't work when I use wireless connection. Although I do get the indicator in top right that says my wireless connection was established. Any idea why I can't access internet with Firefox in wireless mode? :confused:

PS - I tried toggling the wireless switch in front of Acer but that didn't work.
Help!

nm_geo
May 4th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Click on the network manager is there a check mark in front of Enable Wireless? Have you created new wireless connection?

tjfrance
May 4th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Sorry for stupid questions but new to this and not that technical. I scroll over small monitor icon top right corner and see Enable Wireless and Enable Networking both checked off so I assume that is "network manager". It seems as though it is making connection to wireless network but Firefox doesn't work.

nm_geo
May 4th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Sorry for stupid questions but new to this and not that technical. I scroll over small monitor icon top right corner and see Enable Wireless and Enable Networking both checked off so I assume that is "network manager". It seems as though it is making connection to wireless network but Firefox doesn't work.

You need to connect to one of the wireless networks listed. That is if you see any of them listed.

nm_geo
May 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Here is a snapshot of what mine look like.

tjfrance
May 4th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I tried creating new wireless connection and instead of using WEP pass phrase I tried WEP 128 bit key and it works!!! Hope it lasts and thank you sooo much.

nm_geo
May 4th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I tried creating new wireless connection and instead of using WEP pass phrase I tried WEP 128 bit key and it works!!! Hope it lasts and thank you sooo much.

Excellent please marked this thread solved. Only you can do that and is helps.

tjfrance
May 4th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Every time I reboot I have to enter password for keyring 'Default" to unlock. Is this something that everyone has to do or can it be removed?

tjfrance
May 4th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Ok I rebooted and the problem is back. What do you think is going on?

nm_geo
May 4th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Ok I rebooted and the problem is back. What do you think is going on?

i always make the wireless connection automatic and available to all users. The password is for other users who might use your box. I am the only one who uses this one but I don't like passwords either :)