PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transitioning from Ubuntu to Xubuntu/Lubuntu

Rhapsody
May 4th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I have a PC here called Chihiro that is currently running Ubuntu 10.10 but probably won't be soon. Unity seems to be a bit much for Chihiro's low specs and after four years it seems time to transition Chihiro to something more lightweight.

The question is exactly how do I do this with the minimum of disruption to the users of this installation. Chihiro uses a separate root and /home setup, so wiping root and reinstalling is an option, but is it reasonably possible to just use the package manager to move from one *buntu to another? How-tos and the sort would be very helpful if they exist, since I haven't been able to find anything on this subject.

As a side question, which does everyone think would be the better choice for these specifications:

AMD Sempron 2800+ (1.6Ghz clock speed)
512MB RAM (64MB shared as video memory, will be upgraded to 2GB with 128MB as shared video memory if I ever get around to it)
"GeForce6-class graphics" (quote from the motherboard manual about the onboard graphics, I don't have details on it)

Xubuntu and Lubuntu are what I'm considering. Xubuntu would usually be my first choice, but I've heard a lot of good things about Lubuntu as of late and anything to lower the load on the ageing Chihiro would be appreciated.

Cheesehead
May 4th, 2011, 03:10 AM
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
Try it.

If you decide you like it,

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
Use 'remove' instead of 'purge' to preserve your Gnome settings...because people change their minds.

When apt-get gives you that big list of stuff to remove, look it over carefully for unpleasant surprises, like widgets or tools you use frequently. Two minutes spent looking at that list might save you hours of frustration.

I have used Xubuntu for years. Love it - fast, flexible. I don't miss the bling.