PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with upgrading to 3.3 or 3.4 beta openoffice

match417
May 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I am running ubuntu 9.10, I had installed 10.04 after it came out last year and I couldn't get my wireless to work, so I went back to 9.10. I even tried 10.10 when it came out, but this isn't my problem, everything is working fine for me in 9.10, except that I can't install anything but 3.1 openoffice. I need to save files as pptx and docx but I cannot because 3.1 is not letting me save in that filetype, I would have to upgrade to a newer version I guess. I can't upgrade the software though. I tried downloading the rpm version and the deb version from the website and neither one installed. Everytime I go to add/remove software or synaptic package manager and erase my install of 3.1, then select "openoffice" to reinstall it, I keep getting 3.1. Not 3.3. I'm guessing that version 3.1 of openoffice was the version that was released when ubuntu 9.10 was released, so I guess it's possible that ubuntu isn't letting me upgrade to anything higher than openoffice 3.1 because I need to upgrade to 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 first??? This is just me guessing. I do need to save files as pptx and docx, it doesn't seem to be possible though. So how can i upgrade to OO 3.4?

mikewhatever
May 4th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I am not quite sure you can technically install Libre Office 3.4 in 9.10, but Synaptic is not the way to do it. The package manager only installs files from the repositories, and there is not Libre Office 3.4 in the Karmic repositories. You might want to search how to install manually downloaded .deb files in Ubuntu, or even, specifically, how to install Libre Office. There are lots of howtos, and should you have any problems, do not hesitate to ask for help.

match417
May 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I actually got the 3.3 version of openoffice to install, and I also installed libreoffice. I can save files as docx in libreoffice! .Thank you! I didn't know about libreoffice, I thought there was only openoffice..solved..