PDA

View Full Version : I love Unity, Gnome 3, and KDE 4, and openSUSE and Arch! Haters gonna' hate, I guess.

murderslastcrow
May 4th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Seriously, when someone makes good software, especially from passion and with little or no monetary incentive, it should be given a minimal amount of appreciation.

The KDE developers work very hard just to be repeatedly insulted by a large portion of this particular community (the other communities tend to be more open-minded for what I'm sure are a variety of reasons). Gnome 3 is a very interesting and well-made piece of technology. Even if it's not your cup of tea, for its purpose it does very well, and is surprisingly stable for such a 'young' product.

While I think it's perfectly suitable and necessary to criticize software, there's a big difference in between useful criticism and saying something sucks without giving it much of an honest look. A LOT of people I see on Ubuntu-centric blogs and in these forums do much the same thing Windows users do when it comes to trying Linux- they count all the differences between Gnome 2 and the new guys as negatives, even if they improve the way your computer works.

If you love the classic setup with Compiz, your docks, your DO, Synapse, GTK 2 themes and applications, etc. etc. Xfce4 is a very good and reasonable alternative. But remember, these guys aren't paid for their work, and to discourage them without even taking a look at their work is doing no one any good. It's far better to use something alien and understand it before discarding it than simply pushing it aside from the outset.

So here's to multiculturalism within the open source community. Let's show everyone at least a minimal amount of respect, so we can get the best software for every particular person, rather than crippling the chances or reputation for alternatives in our ecosystem. I do realize the irony in my generalizing about the Ubuntu community like this, but I think it's a bit more than obvious that there is a certain amount of loyalty that leads to unnecessary zealotry on our part.

So, to put a spin on an old adage, If you don't have something useful to say, don't give uneducated criticism at all; Unless, of course, you want to be like those Windows users who are afraid of change, and merely badmouth other software to make themselves feel comfortable- just admit that's what you're doing so people don't take you seriously.

</glaringly obvious insult> Anyone else feel like this community's grown a bit too comfortable with this kind of neglect?

linel
May 4th, 2011, 01:36 AM
well I agree with you about almost everything except arch. The only bad thing about it is usually the users are too arrogant but maybe that is just me. People should appreciate things they get for free especially after so much hard work from the developers !!

murderslastcrow
May 4th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I am part of the Arch community, and sometimes they seem to be turning away new users because they refer them to documentation and expect them to fend for themselves and do all they can before asking for help. But that's just part of the community's guidelines- I'm pretty sure it's not in our Code of Conduct to rip on developers. But it's true, sometimes Arch users seem to have a sense of superiority just because Arch is so light, fast, and easy to control (and has just AMAZING package management). But even in that case, doing some things better doesn't give you the right to discount what Ubuntu does well, either.

I also think that we can still say good things about Windows and OS X despite them being closed source. Even though open source has the capacity to make better software more quickly, that doesn't restrict closed software from being good, or having desirable features. It would be silly to ignore them just because we don't plan to use them.

Of course, you can always be proud of what you use without saying silly things like 'X is better than Y'. If you explain your reasoning, and it's sound, there's no irrational conflict; And the best thing you can do is admit when there's a missing feature or some kind of inferiority in the software you use. That's why people who say "Gnome 3 isn't working well with multiple monitors, and here's why" are the opposite of people who say, "Gnome 3's applet system doesn't work (the way I'm used to), and it sucks." There will always be that disagreement on implemenation, so let's just focus on the quality of those implementations.

TL|DR Arch users are mandated to RTFM since it's so accessible, Windows & OS X can do things right too, and giving rational input to improve implementation is always better than disputing the developer community's preferences.

I guess there's not a lot to add if you agree with me, but I just wanted to remind the people who might have lost the point. Hopefully all these big changes help us to be a bit more open-minded.

Tibuda
May 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM
have you been watching little pony or something?

Perosteck
May 4th, 2011, 02:50 AM
have you been watching little pony or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy)):

A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished [...].

murderslastcrow
May 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself. (I didn't, in fact XD)

Blasphemist
May 4th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Applause!! :)

weasel fierce
May 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM
The man speaks truth :)

I thought Gnome shell ( I guess everyone calls it Gnome 3 now) was neat and Unity was neat. Just choosing to use KDE for now, since I dig how it works.