PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade Manager Wants to Remove Gnome

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Help!!!

Upgrade Manager wants to remove 'gnome' & 'gnome-desktop-environment,' and doesn't want to replace it with anything else. It appears that this will completely hose my Gnome UI and 'force' me to use Unity.

Is this what's going to happen?:confused:

This could hose my whole OS... What can I do???

Thanks Hannibal

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 4th, 2011, 12:05 AM
OMG...

Now Update Manager wants to reinstall "Open"-Office...

LibreOffice was installed during the upgrade to Natty.....

BTW, I do have a lot of extra Language Support installed... Could this be the reason???

Jane, get me off this crazy-thing!!!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4ahXdSBCLi0/TaXRJpFYFeI/AAAAAAAAAQo/XpZ9nKxmI7E/s1600/jetson.jpeg

uRock
May 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM
The GNOME package is not normally installed and probably being removed as it probably contradicts one of the packages in the updates. Your Classic Gnome desktop isn't going to be removed. A visit to Synaptic Package Manager will usually explain exactly what a package is.

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 4th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Well,

I may be screwed; but I tried to install just one of the packages, with Ubuntu-Tweak, since Update-Manager would not let me select individual items to install. I thought that-way, I could prevent 'gnome' & 'gnome-desktop-enviroment' from being removed. Then the nightmare came true, or so it appeared...

Update-Manager running under Ubuntu-Tweak went ahead and reported that in was uninstalling these items... All I could do was hold my breath...

I then checked my Desktop Environment, and nothing appeared to be removed...

I then checked 'synaptic' and the two items mentioned above were still marked-in-red, indicating that they were still installed...

*Also, I looked closer at the "Open"-Office packages that were going to be installed. They were only 3 kB each; so I decided to let them install, hoping that they were just transition packages, although they were not marked as such..

All I can do now is cross my fingers and pray that the next time I reboot, I'll still have a windowing environment that I can use.

God Save the Queen....

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
The GNOME package is not normally installed and probably being removed as it probably contradicts one of the packages in the updates. Your Classic Gnome desktop isn't going to be removed. A visit to Synaptic Package Manager will usually explain exactly what a package is.

It turns out you were right...

Thanks,

Nice Unity thread too!