PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dock and top bar gone

stevenmelgar
May 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
i just upgraded to ubuntu 11.04. I went into my setting and and accidentally clicked the wrong thing. Now the dock on the left hand side and the bar on top are gone and I can't figure out how to get them back. Trouble is, I can't even open anything now. Is there anyway I can restore it?

dino99
May 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
logout then login again

if that dont work, into a terminal:

unity --replace &

stevenmelgar
May 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
I can's log in and log out or get into terminal unless there are some sort of keyboard shortcuts you can tell me.

bezgoan
May 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have experienced the same problem. After playing around with compiz settings I am not seeing the dock bar and top bar, basically not able to perform any opertions on the comp.
After multiple trials found that Ctrl + Alt + F1 would give me command prompt with tty1 terminal. Please help if any the recovery is possible from this point ?

beew
May 4th, 2011, 10:47 AM
It looks like you have disabled Unity. Right click anywhere to create a new folder, open it and choose "File System" from the left panel, then go to /usr/share/applications to find the ccsm, you can click to open it and re-enable Unity ( find it under Desktop section and check the box)

bezgoan
May 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks beew, that would have worked is my gut feel.
Prior to seeing your response I did the following from terminal and on restart everything seemed fine.

1) unity --reset
2) unity --reset-icons
3) gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
unity --reset.

Thanks
Shashank.

ankitmeena
May 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
it looks like like you have uninstalled unity in 11.04 go to filesys/user/appli/compiz and re enable unity

manish_jain
June 15th, 2011, 03:02 AM
One way of launching anything is right-clicking on the desktop, Create New Launcher and then type firefox or gnome-terminal in the command box. However, I am stuck with the same problem as above and even unity --replace isn't helping !!