PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 issues with windows, seamonkey, grub2

dld
May 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
I installed 11.04 rather than updating 10.10, thinking that it would be faster. Maybe it was; maybe it was a big mistake. I am fortunate in that I get the message saying my hardware is not able to run Unity, so I am on the classic desktop, which I perfer.
(1) When I switch from desktop to desktop pieces of windows from the former appear in windows of the latter. The best I can do so far is to move the dirty window so that is redrawn.
(2) SeaMonkey is extremely unstable. Touching the reply, or send button brings it down. I started to prepare this article using SeaMonkey and it immediately crashed!! I am forced to use FireFox and ThunderBird until something is done.
(3) While I have managed to reinstall many things that I like, I am at a loss as to how to bring back the old grub splash screen, or if that is not possible, how to increase the font size so that I can read that screen.

All hints and help appreciated.

Got GRUB improved. Just "fixed" seamonkey by installing 2.0.14, after being told that I was experiencing a Ubuntu bug in the repo version of 2.0.13.