PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching between Unity and Gnome

serge_storms
May 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Ok, so I found a link that shows how to switch 11.04 to Gnome (http://www.techienote.com/2011/03/switching-to-gnome-in-ubuntu-11-04.html). However, the same trick is not apparently available for going back to Unity. What would be the step(s) to revert back to Unity?

deltacomp
May 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I think there are several different options to switch back and forth between Gnome and Unity. Depending on what you want, you can log out and select the desktop environment you want by selecting it at the bottom of the screen. Or if you are using Compiz I have seen the option available in the Settings manager. Also if you ALT+F2 you can search out GDM and switch the theme to Unity.

Elfy
May 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
The opposite of that. Unity is just called Ubuntu Desktop Edition in that login list.

serge_storms
May 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Be patient as I'm an old Unix type (mostly Solaris) trying new tricks.

The point is that once I selected Gnome there are no choices at the bottom of the screen.

deltacomp
May 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, try this. System->Administration->Login Screen. Hit unlock, type your password, at the bottom select Ubuntu.

serge_storms
May 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Ok, try this. System->Administration->Login Screen. Hit unlock, type your password, at the bottom select Ubuntu.

And it worked. Thanks for the prompt respones.