PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to abandon Ubuntu

gilch
May 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
I have upgraded to Ubuntu 11 and ran into the problem with blank screen. I don't have the wherewithall to follow all those complex instructions to correct that. I have to abandon Ubuntu and just use my 2d boot installed system on Windows 7. What I need to know is if I give up Ubuntu, are there files that I will have no access to from Windows? and How do I remove Ubuntu?
Sorry to have to leave Ubuntu.

Gilles

jimbo99
May 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have upgraded to Ubuntu 11 and ran into the problem with blank screen. I don't have the wherewithall to follow all those complex instructions to correct that. I have to abandon Ubuntu and just use my 2d boot installed system on Windows 7. What I need to know is if I give up Ubuntu, are there files that I will have no access to from Windows? and How do I remove Ubuntu?
Sorry to have to leave Ubuntu.

Gilles

The blank screen likely is due to using proprietary nVidia drivers. This is a long standing issue going way back (over 3 years now). Any time you upgrade your kernel you need to redo the video driver install. It's not complex but you do have to follow them precisely. It is sort of hard to follow the instruction on your computer when you can't read anything due to a blank screen.

I don't know if Ubuntu is the only culprit or even if it is an Ubuntu issue (rather an nVidia issue). I don't know for sure if your issue is one of a video driver (it's just most likely).

Issues with computers have existed since their inception. Vista and even Win7 have an overwhelming number of issues with drivers and various hardware components. The only positive thing is that doing an upgrade doesn't often leave your screen blank with no indication of what to do next. But, Windows does have it's black screen and blue screens of death. These also can leave you totally lost as to how to proceed.

What you do is you hit the forums for either Ubuntu and go through the steps or you hit the Windows forums and go through the steps there. The good thing about Ubuntu is that the people in these forums are a bit more technical and more capable of narrowing down the cause without leading you on a while goose chase that can waste hours if not days of your time. It doesn't mean that the Ubuntu guys are perfect, but I'd rather be lead down the path blindly by them than by some of the massive number of completely incompetent people in the Windows arena. Believe me, I hate having my time wasted and being someone that owns and operates a computer repair shop I can tell you I have wasted unending hours reading posts that are so far off the mark that it's embarrassing.