PDA

View Full Version : Suse Gnome 3 live cd blackscreen oder fallback mode

blckshadow
May 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
First of all,
I'm blckshadow and I'm new to this forum. I'm using Ubuntu for a while and I'm pretty happy with it. I love its selfhealing capabillities :)

Now my problem:
I'm thinking to switch to Gnome 3 or at least to test it. That should be done with the live cd since the installations breaks unity. When I'm trying to test it with the Suse Gnome 3 Live CD I only get a black screen on a ati and a nvidia system. On both System using the nomodeset parameter enables the live cd to boot, but Gnome 3 then tells me, that it is using the fallback mode because my hardware isn't supporting the hardware acceleration.

Is there any other possible approach?

Greetings,
blckshadow

P.S. I've used Google but didn't find a suitable thread - so I hope I did it well :)

Elfy
May 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
move to other os forum

Visceral Monkey
May 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
First of all,
I'm blckshadow and I'm new to this forum. I'm using Ubuntu for a while and I'm pretty happy with it. I love its selfhealing capabillities :)

Now my problem:
I'm thinking to switch to Gnome 3 or at least to test it. That should be done with the live cd since the installations breaks unity. When I'm trying to test it with the Suse Gnome 3 Live CD I only get a black screen on a ati and a nvidia system. On both System using the nomodeset parameter enables the live cd to boot, but Gnome 3 then tells me, that it is using the fallback mode because my hardware isn't supporting the hardware acceleration.

Is there any other possible approach?

Greetings,
blckshadow

P.S. I've used Google but didn't find a suitable thread - so I hope I did it well :)

Hmm, first, you shouldn't have to use any parameters to have the disk boot, it should boot without it. Secondly, if the SuSE version refuses to work,try Fedora.

Lastly, if you're serious about using Gnome 3, I suggest you stick to SuSE or Fedora as well, Ubuntu doesn't offer decent Gnome 3 support and won't for a long while.