PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Icons are not added to system tray

krojew
May 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,
After installing Kubuntu 11.04, the system tray has gone wild. It contains network manager, volume etc. icons, but applications cannot add theirs. For example Skype status icon positions itself in the top left screen corner; Pidgin icon floats in a small window on the desktop. What could be wrong?

BryanFRitt
May 5th, 2011, 03:38 AM
(ops... mine is just that application's icons are gone altogether, not crazy... even though I've seen tray icons go crazy in the past)
Same problem here... Tried searching for an answer, and so far I'm no solutions for KDE's panel.

As far as I can tell I'm only running one 'system tray' or 'notification tray'.
All 'Entries' in 'System Tray Settings are set to 'Always Visible'

Wierd... I just tried removing my system tray... It went away, but if I go to 'Add Widgets' it has a check mark next to it like there's one still running, but there's NOT one on the task bar.

BryanFRitt
May 6th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Fixed my application system tray icons not showing up ...

in a a 'terminal emulator' such as 'konsole':
kquitapp plasma-desktop
opened this file with a text editor such as kate:
kate ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc &
found the section that had 'systemtray' in it
and deleted the lines that had the matching groups of text that had as their headers the same the 'systemtray' one
[Containments][***][Applets][***]
where *** is the same number as the ones with 'systemtray' in them
saved the file
Ctrl+s
and restarted the system tray with this command:
plasma-desktop
added a system tray back to the panel:
Cashew->Add Widgets->Type in 'System Tray' into the text box->Drag the System tray icon to where it's wanted in the panel->...->Configure 'System Tray Settings' to liking...

krojew
May 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately it didn't help.

BryanFRitt
May 19th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Hi,
After installing Kubuntu 11.04, the system tray has gone wild. It contains network manager, volume etc. icons, but applications cannot add theirs. For example Skype status icon positions itself in the top left screen corner; Pidgin icon floats in a small window on the desktop. What could be wrong?

I think I remember what did to fix that error back when I had this icons out of tray problem...

I think it was something to do with the way Compiz, etc... is started up.

If you want to have Compiz automatically start at login, you can set it up to start automatically via 'System System Settings->Workspace Appearance and Behavior->Default Applications->Window Manager->use different window Manager->Compiz'.

If you have an ~/.kde/Autostart/... script try adding 'sleep XX' where XX is an integer (like 5 or 15... it's in seconds) between commands. <-This can be very time consuming if you want a faster boot, and try to tweak it to the nearest second. In tweaking sometimes it may boot/login fine one time, but even with no changes, it might not work the second time(not so much fun), longer times are more likely to work more often, but makes it take longer to boot/login everytime. Also order might make a difference, try putting things in a order that makes since in this file.

Also look at 'System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Autostart' and 'System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Session Management' and see what you do with them.

Tilex
July 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM

kquitapp plasma-desktop
and deleted the lines that had the matching groups of text that had as their headers the same the 'systemtray' one
saved the file
Ctrl+s
plasma-desktop
Cashew->Add Widgets->Type in 'System Tray' into the text box->Drag the System tray icon to where it's wanted in the panel->...->Configure 'System Tray Settings' to liking...

This fixed my problem, thanks !

ronwilhoite
September 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM

kquitapp plasma-desktop
saved the file
Ctrl+s
plasma-desktop

This fixed two blank icons in the system tray (knotes and konversation) following an upgrade to 11.10 Beta2. Thanks!