PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity doesn't autostart on login

epicoder
May 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
I upgraded from 10.10, and there were no apparent problems during install. However, Unity doesn't start when I use the Ubuntu session from GDM. I have guake terminal installed, which starts correctly, so if I open that and run unity as a background process, everything works perfectly. I would like a solution other than adding it to my startup apps, because I still use GNOME every now and then.

dino99
May 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
hm never tried guake, so maybe some usefull errors/conflicts with unity could be found into logs (xsession-errors & /var/log eg: system admin logviewer)

is your graphic driver well activated ? (system admin additional drivers)

epicoder
May 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM
My graphics drivers are up to date and working just fine. OpenGL works perfectly in minecraft, as well as unity once I start it. The only problem is that unity doesn't start when I log in, I have to start it myself. I looked through various logs, it appears that unity simply never starts if I don't start it myself.

ezragsit
May 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
ok, I made an update from the previous version of ubuntu through an edubuntu dvd install.
It preserved all my settings...
Hellas, even if unity does start from a terminal, it does not on a normal start, as it did not in the previous version. I just know about unity as on an other computer I did a full install, not an update, and there it does start by default.

So, I enhance this topic, how to determine unity to autostart on login, when it does not do this, but it does start well from a terminal session?

It's probable as easy as putting a program in Win's Start Menu or running something as a service ... only ... I just explained from which OS I migrate, so I'm still on the phase of "Wow, Ctrl+Alt+T?, Win+Space? and so..."

It's not the most burning question, but it look's nice and I try to convince my fellow teaching staff that Linux IS a mature option for a computer classroom, even for thus who only now painfully learned all that (Win based) ECDL stuff.

Thanks for any kind answer...

CleverCoder
May 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm seeing a similar thing. I just installed 11.04 on an older HP zd7260us P4 laptop w/ NVIDIA chipset. I updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers, although the hardware driver tool says it's activated but not enabled. I am manually run "unity" or use "compiz --replace" to get the effects working.

Doing this seems to combine the existing window manager, plus I'm not seeing the icons on the left launcher (maybe a driver bug?)

I'm a little confused about what component gets things rolling and where to look to determine what starts Unity. (Also, what's the 'unity plugin' under the compiz manager? I installed that to help chase down my issues...)

Overall, everything seems to work. OpenGL apps appear to work fine. I'm just not getting all the effects or launcher when I login.

Thanks,
-Sean

syed.rakib.al.hasan
October 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
totally ugly....... compiz has VERY BAD integration with Unity. I tried to something with compiz and the whole unity was gone forever.
](*,)](*,)

However, i have a workaround for it - it works, but it should not called a FIX - it's rather a hack.

From Unity launcher, launch up Startup Applications
There, click the ADD button
In Name: type anything you want
In Command: type unity
Then add this in. \\:D/

Next time you start ubuntu, unity should start at login automatically. However, this should not be called a FIX. This is a bug and we have to solve it this way.

Really annoyed with the way unity has been so unstable with so many things.
:twisted: ](*,)](*,):twisted:

AntonyNk
November 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem. There was a "metacity --replace" in startup applications.