PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] My Unity gripe list

lordbah
May 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah I know many people have such gripes. I've done some searching, and I'll do a lot more in the coming days, but so far I'm not finding good solutions. Right now I need to vent. I'm in the "how could they do something so unbelievably stupid" phase.

PS: "Classic" has plenty of annoying changes too.

My issues with Unity:

1. WTF did they do to the scrollbar? It starts invisible. It doesn't appear until you put the mouse on exactly the right pixel; then you can drag up and down. No idea how you do what normal humans do and click to advance one page. (Only some apps - Chrome and Thunderbird still have normal scrollbars)

2. The Gnome System Monitor was almost exactly what I wanted - pretty colored graphs always visible showing CPU and memory usage. There is a kind of system monitor for Unity but it's apparently monochrome text only. It's not clear to me whether or not it opens into something you can use to look at and perhaps kill individual processes since I didn't bother installing it once I saw the screenshot. (In a perfect world the Gnome System Monitor would also show a third pane of network activity)

3. The Unity weather applet has less detailed forecasts and no way to see the radar map. It is prettier than the old one, I'll give it that. Unfortunately pretty doesn't help without the information you need.

4. I finish a VirtualBox session, shift the mouse to the title bar of the window looking for File/Close ... it's not there. I have to move the mouse way up to the top of the screen where the app menu is now. Are they intentionally making things user-unfriendlier?

5. Usually I have 2-4 terminal windows open. Not tabs on one window - multiple windows. In Unity I click on the terminal icon in the launcher and launch one terminal, exactly as one would expect. Repeating that action does not launch a second terminal, as one would expect, it brings the existing window to the front - also as one would expect. Confusing, eh? They have overloaded the meaning of the action of clicking on an icon so that it means two separate things - naturally the user is confused. It took me a while to figure out how to get a second terminal (move the mouse all the way to the top of the screen where the app menu is hiding nowadays and select File / Open New Terminal). Very user-unfriendly.

6. Launcher bar on the left interferes with my old way of switching desktops just by mousing off the edge of the screen. Apparently I'll just have to learn to do it differently.

7. It takes several more clicks to find an application whose name you don't know. Of course you know the name of commonly-used apps, but I find myself looking at alternatives frequently enough that I foresee this being an annoyance.

8. Terminal keeps repositioning itself so the bottom part of the window is off the screen.

lordbah
May 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
9. Told Empathy to "Keep in Launcher" but after logout/in it isn't there.

10. Can't see how to make my set of programs start automatically on login. Wasn't it a checkbox somewhere something like "Remember currently running applications"?

Mad-Halfling
May 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I was cursing at no 5 then I found somewhere (I'll post it later if I can find it again) that if you middle click on a launcher it will open a new instance of that app.

lordbah
May 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I was cursing at no 5 then I found somewhere (I'll post it later if I can find it again) that if you middle click on a launcher it will open a new instance of that app.

Hey, thanks. It's a little awkward clicking on this scroll wheel, but it works. I wonder if I can find a way to map one of the extra mouse buttons to that.

I wonder how (or if) they'll provide that function with a touch screen.

Mad-Halfling
May 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
I wonder how (or if) they'll provide that function with a touch screen.

Funnily enough, I was thinking that exact same thing this afternoon - maybe it'll be a press-and-hold action, or something?

Can't say I'm overly impressed with Unity - maybe I'm missing something and need to use it more but I can't see anything I've gained from GNOME 2 with GNOME-Do and a launcher bar (which I don't use, anyway). In fact it doesn't seem that much different (apart from missing the task bar) from eeeBuntu I've had on my netbook for a couple of years

Aenima99x
May 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
2. The Gnome System Monitor was almost exactly what I wanted - pretty colored graphs always visible showing CPU and memory usage. There is a kind of system monitor for Unity but it's apparently monochrome text only. It's not clear to me whether or not it opens into something you can use to look at and perhaps kill individual processes since I didn't bother installing it once I saw the screenshot. (In a perfect world the Gnome System Monitor would also show a third pane of network activity)

This is what you want (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/network-memory-and-cpu-usage-indicator.html) \\:D/

Traktion
May 3rd, 2011, 11:42 PM
This is what you want (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/network-memory-and-cpu-usage-indicator.html) \\:D/

Excellent! Thanks for that!

lordbah
May 4th, 2011, 12:49 AM

Sure looks like it will be, but ... that, the network, sound, and messages icons no longer respond to clicks (so I can't configure it, right now it shows only CPU load). Bluetooth, pulse, date/time, and 'me' still do respond. No clue what I've screwed up to cause this. Problem persists through logout/login. Network, sound, messages, all used to respond to clicks.

3rdalbum
May 4th, 2011, 04:16 AM
1. WTF did they do to the scrollbar? It starts invisible. It doesn't appear until you put the mouse on exactly the right pixel; then you can drag up and down.

When you mouse near it, a handle should appear nearby that will allow you to drag the scroll box around; you don't have to be on "exactly the right pixel". Is the handle not appearing for you?

5. Usually I have 2-4 terminal windows open. Not tabs on one window - multiple windows. In Unity I click on the terminal icon in the launcher and launch one terminal, exactly as one would expect. Repeating that action does not launch a second terminal, as one would expect, it brings the existing window to the front. Very user-unfriendly.

Ever seen someone using a computer and launching multiple instances of the same program because of impatience or not understanding about how you can run the same program multiple times? I have; so I understand the new launcher.

6. Launcher bar on the left interferes with my old way of switching desktops just by mousing off the edge of the screen. Apparently I'll just have to learn to do it differently.

No, not necessarily. Set the launcher bar to Dodge Windows (intellihide). Set the hot corner for showing the launcher bar, to the top-left corner. Now you can mouse off the edge of the screen as normal, and when you want the launcher bar just press Super or throw the mouse into the top-left corner.

lordbah
May 4th, 2011, 04:58 AM
When you mouse near it, a handle should appear nearby that will allow you to drag the scroll box around; you don't have to be on "exactly the right pixel". Is the handle not appearing for you?

Perhaps what you call "near" is what I call "exactly the right pixel". I do exaggerate a bit - there may be 8-10 horizontal pixels of latitude. Vertically, you do have to be within reach of the handle, the rest of the scrollbar just "isn't there". I just like an always-visible scrollbar where you can put the mouse near the bottom and lean on the left-click button to page down many times. More of a clicker than a dragger I guess.

lordbah
May 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Sure looks like it will be, but ... that, the network, sound, and messages icons no longer respond to clicks (so I can't configure it, right now it shows only CPU load). Bluetooth, pulse, date/time, and 'me' still do respond. No clue what I've screwed up to cause this. Problem persists through logout/login. Network, sound, messages, all used to respond to clicks.

metacity --replace
compiz --replace

fixed my latest problem with the indicators not taking mouse clicks.

indicator-multiload is excellent!

lordbah
May 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
9. Told Empathy to "Keep in Launcher" but after logout/in it isn't there.

Worked this time.

lordbah
May 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
11. Weather applet forecast begins with yesterday. That's not really a "fore"cast, is it?

12. It seems indicators which are left of a certain point on the screen do not respond to mouse clicks. Err, sometimes, not always - haven't quite found the rhyme or reason in this one yet. You can click on a more rightward indicator to bring up a menu and then slide the mouse to the left and the menu of a leftward indicator can be seen that way.

13. There are 3 different ways for Banshee to appear in that indicator area. None of them will let a hover show you what time you're at in the currently playing track. Only the integration with the sound menu even shows you the name of the current track. None of them let you assign a rating.

lordbah
May 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
14. Banshee starts full-screen and I can't see how to make it not do that.

15. Shotwell several times has gotten into a state where it can't draw its menus. I don't know whether this problem belongs to Unity or Shotwell or compiz or what.

QwUo173Hy
May 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Not sure I get #2. I just hit the Super key and type "system mon" followed by enter and I have gnome-system-monitor, which can then be pinned to the launcher. It's also accessible via the System Settings menu.

eric-yorba
May 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
15. Shotwell several times has gotten into a state where it can't draw its menus. I don't know whether this problem belongs to Unity or Shotwell or compiz or what.

I haven't seen this, but there have been issues with this in the past. If you can reproduce the issue, could you please file a ticket with us?
http://trac.yorba.org/newticket

ljpp
May 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
16) Try using Pidgin on Unity, and not going insane and throwing you PC out the window.

17) How can anyone claim that hiding window switching under top left corner can be usable? Also the tiny arrow next to the application with more than one window is not exactly obvious. In gnome you can see WHAT windows you actually have open, and switch in one click. In Unity you need to move the mouse to the top left corner (big displays, anyone?!) and then click just to see the windows for one application.

eric-yorba
May 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM
17) How can anyone claim that hiding window switching under top left corner can be usable? Also the tiny arrow next to the application with more than one window is not exactly obvious. In gnome you can see WHAT windows you actually have open, and switch in one click. In Unity you need to move the mouse to the top left corner (big displays, anyone?!) and then click just to see the windows for one application.

You can make the Unity launcher/dock thingie stay open all the time, which I prefer. But it's not exactly obvious how to do this; you have to install CompizConfig Settings Manager, then in the Unity plugin there's an option to never hide the launcher.

eric-yorba
May 10th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Yes! This bothered me as well. But someone was nice enough to make a Unity version.
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/network-memory-and-cpu-usage-indicator.html

lordbah
May 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Not sure I get #2. I just hit the Super key and type "system mon" followed by enter and I have gnome-system-monitor, which can then be pinned to the launcher. It's also accessible via the System Settings menu.

I wanted the status as always visible icons in the panel up top. indicator-multiload did the trick, but now I've read that it might be largely responsible for compiz memory usage growing so quickly.

18. The Files & Folders search is not dependable. Apparently by design it only searches files which applications have told it about, not the entire filesystem - even when it says "All Files", it does NOT mean "All Files". It will find some files which match in my home directory but not find other files in the same directory. Maybe it's useful for someone in some case, but not for me - I guess I just won't use it, and will look for a way to get it off my screen.

nmalth
May 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
[quote]12. It seems indicators which are left of a certain point on the screen do not respond to mouse clicks. Err, sometimes, not always - haven't quite found the rhyme or reason in this one yet. You can click on a more rightward indicator to bring up a menu and then slide the mouse to the left and the menu of a leftward indicator can be seen that way.

Same for me - and I blame the Tracker search app.

First I realised it only happened when Evolution mail was running, then I noticed that Tracker, being set to show an indicator icon when it was actively indexing, was jumping in to index mail every time Evolution was launched, and putting its icon in the indicator panel.

With Tracker uninstalled, the unrespnsive icon problem does not occur whether or not Evolution's running.

(FWIW, for metadata search, I'm trying Pinot instead. It does what I want - namely index contents of certain .xml files - something I couldn't get Tracker to do.)