PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 will only run from Recovery Menu

spandon
May 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
11.04 runs perfect from the live CD.

When installed everything is OK until approx 10 secs after log in and the desktop freezes, whether I run in Ubuntu or classic modes.
having installed and re installed about 6 times now, with the same result have tried running in recovery mode - and found that if I choose Run in Failsafe graphic mode "failsafeX" in the Revovery Menu, then the system runs perfectly in Classic mode.

Is there a set of commands that I can use in the terminal that will set the machine to run in FailsafeX mode rather than having to start via the Recovery Mode?
Don

Dutch70
May 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
You can login to Ubuntu Classic from the login screen. It doesn't show up until you put in your name & password.

What graphics card are you using?

If you're not 100% sure, post the output of...

lspci | grep VGA

spandon
May 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi Dutch 70,
Many thanks for your reply, but unfortunately - it doesn't help me, as I can ONLY use 11.04 on the machine in question when I start it through the Recovery Menu, the normal menu (Ubuntu and The Classic menu startups) only result in a complete freeze up within 10 seconds of logon, which doesen't give time to do anything.
What I need to know is:
Can the FailsafeX command be embedded into the system via the terminal, so that I can startup using the normal startup menu - rather than having to go from the Recovery Mode / Recovery Menu / FailesafeX.
If so What are the commands required to input into the terminal to achieve it?

The graphic card is an ATI Radeon 9600 Series

Cheers
Don

Dutch70
May 4th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Well, sorry I can't answer your direct queston, but since it's been over 10hrs & no one else has either.
Just consider this a free bump & see if you find anything interesting in this link. I just stumbled across it today.
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/amd-ati-catalyst-114-released-just-in.html#comment-193595689 (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/amd-ati-catalyst-114-released-just-in.html#comment-193595689)

Best regards