PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity launcher does not autohide

Captain Lightning
May 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

Recently upgraded to 11.04, and I am happy with the intent but unhappy with the bugs.

I have a specific problem at the moment, the unity launcher will not auto-hide, which means I cannot access the left side of any application (such as the back button for instance). Does anyone know of a fix?

A restart fixes the problem, but If I don't want to do that then I have to set the auto-hide option in Compiz to never, so that application windows stop at the launcher, and don't dissapear underneath. (setting back to other auto-hide options doesn't work)

RiotRick
May 3rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
I have the same thing happening every now and then. Logout/Login fixes it, but it's pretty annoying.

Captain Lightning
May 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
That's true, but when coupled with the bug that removes the top panel... grrrr

RiotRick
May 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
It seems like netbeans is a cause for this bug to happen. When netbeans opens an extra window, like the subversion commit window, or when you drag a panel, the unity launcher will appear and it won't disappear until you close netbeans.

/edit: hmm this doesn't happen all the time. Weird bugs...

Daniel84
May 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I can confirm that netbeans is causing the problem. But not when openeing a new window. It just happens sometimes while netbeans is running...

wittzi
May 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Are you sure it's not because you haven't got any applications open?

When there's nothing open the launcher remains stuck to the left of the screen. As soon as one or more applications are opened then it will hide itself. I've also noticed some processes keep it auto-hidden but I think that's a bug more than a feature.

RiotRick
May 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
No it's not the dodge feature.
Every now and then the docks stays visible when an application is maximized, so covering part of the application.
At least netbeans seems to cause this quite often. Maybe other java based apps as well?

For now I have configured the launcher to never hide. This way apps won't maximize over the launcher and it will never hide. That's a work-a-round for the moment.

majikshoe
May 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I can confirm that netbeans is causing the problem. But not when openeing a new window. It just happens sometimes while netbeans is running...

Happens to me when I run IntelliJ, which is also a Java application. One minute I'm happily working away, the next some sort of random event causes the launch bar to appear and not auto-hide. Suspect that Java is the common thread here.

justmoon
May 6th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Same problem here with KeePass (which uses Mono).

cmw
May 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Having the same problem. Logging out and back in is a brief fix that lasts for a random period of time.

CreativeReach
May 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Try setting it to auto hide in compiz

OmegaBLK
May 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Found a temporary solution which member Cub posted here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10774124&postcount=8

Just drag an icon from the desktop to the launcher bar--no need to drop the icon on the bar just drag back and drop to desktop--and the launcher should work correctly (until whatever causes this issue reoccurs).

bryanagee
May 11th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Just drag an icon from the desktop to the launcher bar--no need to drop the icon on the bar just drag back and drop to desktop--and the launcher should work correctly (until whatever causes this issue reoccurs).

Hacky, but it works. Thanks!

luizvd
May 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Same problem here with KeePass (which uses Mono).

Same here, although I'm using KeePassX (native, without Mono).

An easier way to quick fix this is closing KeePassX. You can open it again after it.

RedRoss
May 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Found a temporary solution which member Cub posted here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10774124&postcount=8

Excellent, happens rarely so a nice fix :D

Hilko
May 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM

It happened to me too after running Eclipse. The above solution works. Thanks!

AvgUser
May 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks a boondoggle Ubuntu! I never had an opportunity to learn all the keyboard shortcuts to move, resize, minimize, maximize windows & start a second terminal before *cough* "Upgrading" to 11.4 Natty...

I am now a skilled professional with the F4, F9 & F10's and alt buttons.

As nobody writes native linux, I use many Java apps and also have this very frequent issue. The Natty doc (Unity) will not autohide. When this happens the title bar of all further applications is gone until I restart/login etc. I did try dragging a desktop icon up & it did not reset anything..

This makes Ubuntu Soooo much moar usable now that I am familiar with all the shortcuts I was previously ignorant of. It's about time we had an OS w/built in M.O.A.N.S. (Mandatory Educational Obfuscated Needless Suffering)...

All I can say is I wish I did a clean install as my login screen does not provide an option for "Classic" desktop necessitating a full reload. Guess I now have to educate self to make separate /home partition so reloads/distro testing is much easier considering the obvious need to find another solution...

lesser
June 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'll second M.O.A.N.S.!

Thanks a lot for the drag-but-do-not-drop hack. It works perfectly. Way I can reproduce the error 10/10:

Start Firefox
Make it full screen
Switch workspace
Switch back to original workspace

Boy, if you consider how wide-spread and irritating this is, i would expect this to be one of the first bugs fixed.

hcaicedo
July 7th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Dragging the icon it works again. Thanks

thanhquanky
July 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Nice workaround solution :popcorn:

Skadge
July 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
This bug is tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/808962

ram130
August 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I found another work around. Just hit num lock when the issue occurs.

Cu7l4ss
August 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi :)

Just wanted to inform that it happens to me when SKYPE is running.
I am not sure when though, it happened to me I think after I used the shortcut in the top title bar(application menues etc).

uusr
February 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM
This is works for me in ubuntu 11.10:

1. Alt+F2

2. Type

Get code from here http://adf.ly/5HmZ1 and press enter

3. The launcher disappears and appears again and hides again.

drink
March 8th, 2012, 05:09 AM
This is works for me in ubuntu 11.10:

1. Alt+F2

2. Type

Get code from here http://adf.ly/5HmZ1 and press enter

3. The launcher disappears and appears again and hides again.

your link is bad. maybe next time you can insert the code here. or was it a malware driveby?

sammiev
March 8th, 2012, 05:29 AM
your link is bad. maybe next time you can insert the code here. or was it a malware driveby?

+1 malware drive-by.