PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor doesn't detect connection after 11.04 server install attempt

compulsiveguile
May 3rd, 2011, 07:29 AM
I started to install 11.04 (Server) on my pentium 4 box (planning on overwriting Ubuntu 10.10), and I ran into an issue. The monitor went blank during the install, and I'm now unable to see anything when I boot my computer. No Gnome, no terminal/command prompt, no nothing. My power button on the monitor flickers on and off like it doesn't detect that the computer is on.

I have tried restarting with the disc, without the disc, with a different Ubuntu disk (10.10), tapping shift while starting, etc. I'm kind of at a loss. The monitor works fine, as I am able to use it with my laptop.

Does this mean my video card conveniently died during the install? Is there something else I'm missing?

Please help!!!

mörgæs
May 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

Is the BIOS set to boot from CD?

compulsiveguile
May 4th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Hm... I left the machine and monitor off all night/day, and when I booted up again, I was able to get through the server installation. However when the machine restarted, I was stuck at the screen with the blinking dash/underscore in the top left (left it for several minutes).

I restarted a few times and finally just booted off the Ubuntu 11.04 cd to attempt a re-install. I chose the option to recover an installation (or something like that). The computer restarted and froze at the bios Pentium 4 screen. After leaving it for a while and seeing nothing happen, I rebooted again.

I'm now back at the point where I don't see a thing when I restart. No bios screen, no blinking cursor.

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Is the BIOS set to boot from CD?

mörgæs
May 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM
There is a selection of advice here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857