PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nautilus-image-converter no working with nautilus 3

opodaniel
May 3rd, 2011, 05:13 AM
Hello
I just installed Gnome 3 ( which I found quite nice ) that came with Nautilus 3. One of the problems is that the plug-in nautilus-image-converter is no longer working with the new Nautilus. What can be done about this, is there a workarround? :confused:

steelsteel!
May 30th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hello
I just installed Gnome 3 ( which I found quite nice ) that came with Nautilus 3. One of the problems is that the plug-in nautilus-image-converter is no longer working with the new Nautilus. What can be done about this, is there a workarround? :confused:

same problem here.

emelce
July 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM
same problem ;-(

omne
July 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Same here :( Please help… I’ve tried to wrote to the autors few month ago with no result :(

aeronutt
July 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Ditto, would love to find a solution for this!

glococo
July 31st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Same issue. What a nightmare is to resize a bunch of images without NAUTILUS-IMAGE-CONVERTER.

Please, try someone fix it ! :KS

coffeecat
July 31st, 2011, 05:39 PM
As far as I can find out, nautilus-image-converter hasn't been updated since 2007, so it looks as though the original devs have lost interest. Unless someone else picks this up, this is going to die with gnome 3.

All is not lost, though. There are other ways of doing batch resize jobs on images. Try Gthumb - it's in the repos. It can batch resize and rename, but not both together (unless I'm missing something), so it's a 2-stage process to batch resize and rename some images.

opodaniel
July 31st, 2011, 05:55 PM
I changed back to Gnome 2 ... I use it quite often, and don't want to start my virtual Windows XP each time I need to resize my photos.

omne
August 1st, 2011, 07:38 AM
As far as I can find out, nautilus-image-converter hasn't been updated since 2007, so it looks as though the original devs have lost interest. Unless someone else picks this up, this is going to die with gnome 3.

Is-it so hard to port it from gnome2 to gnome3 ?

Where can we ask for this ?

ulm05
September 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I work with ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) and gnome 3.
I had the same problem with this quite usefull nautilus plugin. :cry:
My solution, maybe not the nicest one but easy and it works, is :

Download the fedora 15 rpm :
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/15920600/dir/fedora_15/com/nautilus-image-converter-0.3.1-0.1.git430afce31.fc15.x86_64.rpm.html

Install the deb packagage "alien" that is already present in ubuntu main repository (this package converts between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats).

Go in the directory where you downloaded nautilus-image-converter and type :
sudo alien -d nautilus-image-converter-.3.1-0.1.git430afce31.fc15.x86_64.rpm
This will generate a deb package named "nautilus-image-converter_0.3.1-1.1_amd64.deb".

Now, just install it with a dpkg -i nautilus-image-converter_0.3.1-1.1_amd64.deb, close all instances of nautilus and restart it.

There you are, you now should have a right menu called something like "image resize" !!! :)

aeronutt
September 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I work with ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) and gnome 3.
I had the same problem with this quite usefull nautilus plugin. :cry:
My solution, maybe not the nicest one but easy and it works, is :

Download the fedora 15 rpm :
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/15920600/dir/fedora_15/com/nautilus-image-converter-0.3.1-0.1.git430afce31.fc15.x86_64.rpm.html

Install the deb packagage "alien" that is already present in ubuntu main repository (this package converts between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats).

Go in the directory where you downloaded nautilus-image-converter and type :
sudo alien -d nautilus-image-converter-.3.1-0.1.git430afce31.fc15.x86_64.rpm
This will generate a deb package named "nautilus-image-converter_0.3.1-1.1_amd64.deb".

Now, just install it with a dpkg -i nautilus-image-converter_0.3.1-1.1_amd64.deb, close all instances of nautilus and restart it.

There you are, you now should have a right menu called something like "image resize" !!! :)

Dang, I had hopes...but nope. This didn't work for me.

aeronutt
December 25th, 2011, 12:43 AM
FYI, I found 'nautilus-image-manipulator' in the repositories recently. Seems to work like nautilus-image-converter used to, but is being supported.

Jorell00
January 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks aeronutt, I've spent hours trying to get nautilus image converter to work. You saved me loads more hours- Good find

bcarlowise
January 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I sometimes use gThumb for mass resizing (if less than say 20 files) and renaming but it is not as useful as just running irfanview (requires Wine). The thing I like about irfanview is that you can set what size you want to long side of any image to be and all images regardless of portrait or landscape orientation will have those dimensions (i.e. 1024x768 for landscape and 768x1024 for portrait). gThumb is that flexible so you can only resize images with the same orientation at once.