PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will Ubuntu ever Join the Canterburry Project?

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 3rd, 2011, 05:13 AM
I just read about a new distro that supposedly combines the work of Arch, Debian, Gentoo, openSUSE, etc.

Will Unbuntu every join this Linux zoo? Why or why-not?

Also, what will all this collaboration really mean development wise?

tgm4883
May 3rd, 2011, 05:14 AM
I just read about a new distro that supposedly combines the work of Arch, Debian, Gentoo, openSUSE, etc.

IIRC, Ubuntu (actually Canonical) is strictly against joining imaginary projects.

boydrice
May 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM

It means you don't understand the nature of April fools jokes...

manzdagratiano
May 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM

Actually, if you look at the OP's post, he is asking about Unbuntu.

To that there is only the truth, and nothing but the truth: Unbuntu has always been part of the Canterbury project. In fact, Unbuntu is the mastermind behind it, since Unbuntu is in fact the distro you get when you combine Arch, Debian, Gentoo and openSUSE. "By your powers combined..." :P

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 3rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Actually, if you look at the OP's post, he is asking about Unbuntu.

To that there is only the truth, and nothing but the truth: Unbuntu has always been part of the Canterbury project. In fact, Unbuntu is the mastermind behind it, since Unbuntu is in fact the distro you get when you combine Arch, Debian, Gentoo and openSUSE. "By your powers combined..." :P

Darn, fat-fingered the 'n' again!

I guess that would be "Un"-buntu. Really though, this is interesting to me...

Oh, and I've read the AFD comments already...

Does anyone know what's really going-on with this project? Are they combining forces on UI's, packages, upstream-development? Just what are they collaborating on?

[Water has no contant shape: the ability to gain victory by changing and adapting according to the opponent is called genius.

Sun-tzu Ping-fa, 500 BCE]

tgm4883
May 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Darn, fat-fingered the 'n' again!

I guess that would be "Un"-buntu. Really though, this is interesting to me...

Oh, and I've read the AFD comments already...

Does anyone know what's really going-on with this project? Are they combining forces on UI's, packages, upstream-development? Just what are they collaborating on?

[Water has no contant shape: the ability to gain victory by changing and adapting according to the opponent is called genius.

Sun-tzu Ping-fa, 500 BCE]

I'll only comment once on this, cause I'm still unsure if you are serious.

The Canterburry project was an April Fools joke for 2011. And a very good one at that.

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 4th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'll only comment once on this, cause I'm still unsure if you are serious.

The Canterburry project was an April Fools joke for 2011. And a very good one at that.

Well I was serious... Shows how much I know...

I gave this a closer look and it appears you're right... All the posts are dated 4/01/2011, and I found the following Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canterbury_Distribution

At first glance, it looked like the AFD comments were just a flame...

I'm surprised Arch still has this on their site, more than a month later... Gentoo's already taken it down.

Guess there's no Easter Bunny either, Ratzzzzzzz.

http://www.about-recipes.com/imgrec/301202-Easter-egg-starter.jpg

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 7th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hello,

I've just confimred that Unbumtu will indeed be joining the Canterbury project, and will be issuing the 12.04-01 LTS in April of 2012.

There will be all of the Linux collaborative goodness that you've come to expect.

Since the issue has now been resolved; I'm marking the thread 'solved.'

And I'm looking forward to the LTS!:lolflag:

Hannibal