PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't edit grub default boot

tvphil
May 3rd, 2011, 03:34 AM
I think my Natty 64 bit install is missing a dependency for gk, even though it shows up install in Synaptic. I have also tried using Start up Manager and the changes I make there don't show up after restarting either. I just want to change the default boot to number 4, Windows. Any suggestions are welcome, but I have tried all the ones I've found on this forum so far and none have worked, including editing etc/grub/default and saving with sudo update-grub. That's when I get a "gk not found" error.

wilee-nilee
May 3rd, 2011, 03:50 AM
I think my Natty 64 bit install is missing a dependency for gk, even though it shows up install in Synaptic. I have also tried using Start up Manager and the changes I make there don't show up after restarting either. I just want to change the default boot to number 4, Windows. Any suggestions are welcome, but I have tried all the ones I've found on this forum so far and none have worked, including editing etc/grub/default and saving with sudo update-grub. That's when I get a "gk not found" error.

The ppa linked for the grub customizer has natty in its list, and drs305 is detailed in keeping thse upto date or stating otherwise, check it out.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10340183#post10340183

tvphil
May 3rd, 2011, 06:29 AM
I failed to mention, I tried Grub Customizer too, with a different problem. After I did the admin login, it would tell me I need root privileges, which is stupid, because I just did that. But just for the hell of it, I logged out of my user desktop and into the root desktop as root. Same problem, so I was done chasing my tail with Grub Customizer. It seems to work for most people that use it, just like Start up Manager, that's why I think I'm missing a dependency, I just don't know which one.