PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 - Empty desktop after compiz reset.

calebfnord
May 3rd, 2011, 01:29 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu, so bare with me if it's something elementary.

As implied in the title, in compizconfig I went to Preferences, and under Profile, while unity was selected, hit the "Reset to defaults" button.

The desktop went all fuzzy so I restarted, and when boot finished, I was left with my desktop background and nothing else - None of the tool bars, menu, sidebar... All gone.

Recovery loads fine but with the 10.XX version look.

What happened and how do I undo it?
Thanks.

garvinrick4
May 3rd, 2011, 01:58 AM
In Unity Try hitting ctrl/alt/T at same time and opening a terminal and in that terminal type:

ccsmWhen page opens go to Ubunty Unity plugin and check it.

calebfnord
May 3rd, 2011, 02:02 AM
In Unity Try hitting ctrl/alt/T at same time and opening a terminal and in that terminal type:

Forgot to mention almost none of the shortcuts work - only CTRL-F, CTRL-F1 to F7, CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Any other way to reach terminal?

calebfnord
May 3rd, 2011, 02:10 AM

I ended up using Search to run "ccsm" and did as you advised - worked perfectly, thanks!

Closing thread.

zilmar
May 5th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you!
I had the same problem. Got fix'd by running ccsm.

If someone is having problems getting a terminal window, you can create a shortcut in your desktop. So that, when you open this shortcut a terminal will show up also. Press CTRL+SHIFT+T to open a new tab and execute ccsm.

jackllewellynbrown
October 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
You're awesome, thank you for getting this noob out of trouble. Love.