PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to use "Seperate X Servers" mode for dual monitors anymore, please help.

buckminst
May 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Prior to upgrading to 11.04 from 10.10, I was using the Seperate X Servers option in nvidia-settings for handling my dual-monitor setup. This mode enabled both monitors to be fully independent, running their own WM and having their own virtual desktops. This was convenient for me as I could keep my web browser on one virtual desktop on one screen, and switch to other virtual desktops without losing it.

However, since upgrading to 11.04, this mode no longer functions properly. The issues I have ran into with it are various:

1: The window manager no longer starts on the second monitor.
2: Any panel applets that were present on the second monitor immediately crashed upon switching over to Ubuntu Classic from Unity, and were unable to be added back to the panel (they would just crash again as soon as they were added)
3: Any application I started on that second monitor from the menus or launcher shortcuts would start without having focus, and could not gain focus through any means (focus remained on the primary monitor, the second monitor's interface would not respond to keystrokes of any sort, mouse-clicking in windows would not give them focus either).

This has essentially completely broken the usability of my system for my work. Does ANYONE know ways to fix these issues, or am I just going to have to downgrade back to a working version of Ubuntu?

brian70809
May 2nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have been resorting to Twinview and hating it. Unity cannot figure out the size of screen properly and loses the control bars for each window constantly.

It works, but is a pain and not running separately.

buckminst
May 3rd, 2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah, Twinview is what I've resorted to as well, and is _not_ what I want.

mvega
May 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
There is a nice solution in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1750174