PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restoring Unity after installing Gnome3

alphageek89
May 2nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi . I used this article to install gnome3
http://askubuntu.com/questions/22946/how-do-i-install-the-latest-version-of-gnome-3

Then after much difficulty I was able to login in to gnome3. Soon i realized it was weird and wanted to go back to unity . So i followed the steps in that article namely:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

Then i did

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Now when i go to login the login screen looks like the default unity splash screen but my shell options are :

gnome openbox
ldxe
openbox

How can i log in using unity again ?

alphageek89
May 2nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm currently logged in through the ldxe shell. The gnome openbox and openbox don't really work.

arcterex
May 2nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
I think you need to re-install the gdm session files in /usr/share/xsessions

I had the same issue (well, similar) when I did the same thing as you and luckily had a another 11.04 install on a VM that I was able to copy the files across from. I will attach a tarball of /usr/share/xsessions for you, I just put them in that directory and re-logged in and voila, back up and working.

Nerotriple6
May 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for this.

3 reinstalls later and I was afraid to try Gnome 3 again. If this works I will make another effort soon. Last reinstall was today.. :p

I was left with no Gnome and no Unity after purging Gnome 3.

alphageek89
May 3rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
I copied the files in the correct directory. When I restart I get the options but I get a error:No Session Options

alphageek89
May 3rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

This worked !