PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 11.04 = EPIC FAIL :(

adawil
May 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hello everyone, I have been a loyal Linux supporter since 2009 when I was first introduced to Linux Karmic Koala in a course I took for my degree. After I upgraded Vista to 7, I started getting the good ol' blue screen of death shortly after. Fed up with microsoft, I totally wiped it from my pc and exclusively run Ubuntu and I honestly do not miss microsoft.

So over the years I have upgraded to all new versions of Ubuntu with no massive problems except for last night when I tried to upgrade to 11.04. Prior to upgrading I downloaded all updates for 10.10 and went through all the steps to start upgrading. About 2 1/2 hours went by and all was moving along quite well. But once the installation made it to the "Getting New Packages" step, half way in during this step the downloading stop with a messages along the lines of "Congratulations on upgrading to 11.04" displayed." YIKES! As you would expect when I try to boot now I basically get the linux version of the blue screen because half the stuff did not download so now my system has both 10.10 and 11.04 OS stuff installed. It gives me options to boot into different modes but none of them work.

I constantly educate myself on Linux, so the only thing I know could do now is boot one of my old Ubuntu disks or Knoppix and get all my files off and then do a clean install from scratch off my image of 11.04. Is that my best option? Is there an alternative way of fixing the failure? Thank you all for your insights :)

-Willie

adawil
May 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
*Bump*:(

underquark
May 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Personally I've never been a fan of upgrading and have always installed from scratch after trying the Live CD (latterly a USB stick) for a few days first. As ever, backup all files, make sure you save your Evolution contacts and any important mail. Usually I move to a new version either because more programs require a new version or because I've cluttered up my old setup too much and will benefit from the spring-clean that a new install forces.

abhilashm86
May 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Using a live cd of ubuntu, make a backup of important things. Then do a fresh install, you never know what exact problems an upgrade causes.