PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 11.04, Need to get the old bootloader back

racshot65
May 2nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I'll tell you my setup,

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed and have the Windows installation encrypted with Truecrypt

I upgraded my Ubuntu installation today to 11.04 from the previous version (sorry can't remember its number / name) but I have a problem.

Because I had my Windows installation encrypted with Truecrypt I have to go through Truecrypts bootloader or I can't access Windows.

The upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu replaced Truecrypts bootloader with Ubuntu's (GRUB 2 I assume) and now I can't access Windows.

Is there a way to restore the old bootloader ?

Thanks

MAFoElffen
May 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I'll tell you my setup,

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed and have the Windows installation encrypted with Truecrypt

I upgraded my Ubuntu installation today to 11.04 from the previous version (sorry can't remember its number / name) but I have a problem.

Because I had my Windows installation encrypted with Truecrypt I have to go through Truecrypts bootloader or I can't access Windows.

The upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu replaced Truecrypts bootloader with Ubuntu's (GRUB 2 I assume) and now I can't access Windows.

Is there a way to restore the old bootloader ?

Thanks
As far as I can remember, there is still an open bug with/at Truecrypt (6 months ago / could be wrong at this time) where Truecript could chainload to Grub legacy and Grub2, but Grub could not start Truecript...and Truecript had some problems reading ext4 partitions.

The workaround for Truecript, Grub2 and Ext4 partitions was to install grub to the linux partion (sdax) instead of the MBR (sda)... Restore the backup Window's MBR (google search on that brings up various methods or use testdisk)... press esc while booting Truecript (instead of the password) and it will find/chainload the next partition's bootloader.

In this workaround still the most current method?

Edit: Found these on Booting Truecript from Grub.

I got this to work by getting grub2 to boot the TrueCrypt rescue ISO. However, the above link isn't exactly what you need.

1. Copy the rescue ISO to /boot
2. sudo apt-get install syslinux
3. sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /boot
4. Add /etc/grub.d/40_windows_truecrypt:
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# Windows with TrueCrypt
menuentry "Microsoft Windows" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
linux16 ($root)/memdisk iso raw
initrd16 ($root)/truecrypt.iso
}

Step 4 will add the entry whenever updating grub. You'll have to modify some of this to fit your situation. Such as the (hd0,msdos3) partition is your /boot, and the numbers start at 1.

Hope this helps.
or something similar to

menuentry "Windows" {
search --set=root --fs-uuid 67e61837-c1a4-417c-9ac4-403c85406ea8
linux16 /memdisk iso
initrd16 /TrueCrypt_Descue_Disk.iso boot
}
Using

sudo blkid

to find the UUID...